Genesis 6:1-2

by Dansk 46 Replies latest jw friends

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I'm curious back in those times how did they view sperm,,they must have had no idea that the women had an egg cell. My thought is that they may have thought the man passed this very tiny male or female on to the female so it could grow.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

CF:

Does anyone remember the illustration in the 'Live Forever' book where the male angels are looking down on a number of stunning hot babes bathing in a pool.

I remember it well.
    The women had towels and "modest" bathing costumes, as per 20th century one-piece JW standards.
    LOL

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

hybrid humans...........wheres the archaelogical evidence? surely theres some fossilized nephilim around somewhere!

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

frankiespeakin....Since the word for the expression was "seed," I think the metaphor is one of planting one's seed inside one's female companion, where it would "grow" into a baby as a seed in the earth. This connects with the longstanding Near East conception of the earth (cf. Gaia) as feminine and the counterpart of the sky god (cf. Uranus, Shamem, Anu). Also in the Ugaritic literature, Baal-Haded fertilizes the ground with his "seed" (waters) which gives birth to the produce of the land.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Leo,

That sounds reasonable. They must have thought the seed was very small,,because on normal human eye-hand examination you cannot see a seed. But then again they could have thought that the liquid was the seed.

• Mary
    Mary

hybrid humans...........wheres the archaelogical evidence? surely theres some fossilized nephilim around somewhere!

I know that the National Geographic has done a few reports over the years where they have found skeletal remains of humans that were over 8 feet tall........of course, that doesn't prove that they were offsprings of humans/angels----just that there were indeed giants in our past. I think alot of cultures have stories about giants, so the biblical one of the nephilim isn't unusual. My question is: if all the Nephilim died at the Flood, then why are they mentioned again in Number 2:32-33:

The land, which we passed through to spy it out, is a land that eats up its inhabitants; and all the people whom we saw in the midst of it are men of extraordinary size. A nd there we saw the Neph´i·lim, the sons of A´nak, who are from the Neph´i·lim; so that we became in our own eyes like grasshoppers, and the same way we became in their eyes."
  • Narkissos
    Narkissos

Frankie,

As to the ancient concept of genetical heredity as limited to the male's "seed" (Hebrew zera`, Greek sperma applying both to sperm and offspring), one could also think of the idea of one's descendents being in his (male) ancestors' loins, as in Hebrews 7:9f: "One might even say that Levi himself, who receives tithes, paid tithes (to Melchisedek) through Abraham, for he was still in the loins of his ancestor when Melchizedek met him."

Mary:

Your quote from Numbers plainly shows that the "sons of the gods" story, with its subsequent giant heroes, was originally independent from the Flood narrative (which btw doesn't mention them after 6:1-4).

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Nark,

So the liquid semon was the seed,, that is how the ancient mind at that time understood it when Genesis 6 was writen.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Here's a link about the history of genetics. The first few paragraphs are about the ancient views.

http://www.mala.bc.ca/~johnstoi/darwin/sect5.htm

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Mary....You may find the following thread of interest:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/68224/1.ashx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit