Genesis 6:1-2

by Dansk 46 Replies latest jw friends

• Dansk
    Dansk

In Genesis 6:1-2 it speaks of how angels began noticing the daughters of men, came down to earth, took them as wives and had sexual relations with them. However, if angels are sexless how come some of them didn't notice the handsome males on the earth and want to change themselves into females to have sex with them? If an angel is truly sexless and it wants to try some human hanky panky, surely it wouldn't matter which sex it became?

Hmmmmmmm

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

Homosexuality hadn't been invented yet... duh...

CZAR

• Dansk
    Dansk

Homosexual angels??????? Bisexual angels??????? Heterosexual angels?????? What happened to sexless?

• aniron
    aniron

Where in scripture does in say that angels are sexless?

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Hi Ian,

In the original, polytheistic context of this mythological fragment no "angels" are involved, rather the sons of the gods, ie gods. In mythology the gods are seldom sexless. And intercourse between gods and mortals, with semigod offspring, occurs in most mythologies in the world.

When the "sons of the gods" were reinterpreted as "sons of God", ie angels, in a new monotheistic context, I still doubt the angels were viewed as sexless. The well-known debate on the "sex of angels" was in the Middle-Ages as far as I remember.

One thing you can say almost certainly: the tellers, writers and rewriters of the story were all males.

• Dansk
    Dansk
    The well-known debate on the "sex of angels" was in the Middle-Ages as far as I remember.

Thank you, Didier.

Hi Aniron

Where in scripture does in say that angels are sexless?

I don’t know of anywhere that it does say they are sexless. It is commonly accepted, however, especially amongst JWs, that once one takes on spiritual (angelic) form carnal desires don’t come to mind because one is beyond the flesh. If spirit creatures have sex I’ve never read/heard of it. In the scripture I cite it states that Jehovah frowned on the fact that the angels had sex with women. To me (bearing in mind my JW indoctrination) this means angels shouldn’t have any sexual desires. If you know of any scriptures/writings where it states angels or spirit creatures do have sex and it is approved by God I’m sure we’d all like to know of it. I certainly would as it would be another counter-JW teaching!

I rather feel the truth is as has been referred to by Didier.

Best wishes,

Ian

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Nark,

One thing you can say almost certainly: the tellers, writers and rewriters of the story were all males.

The Bible really is a book of male domination as well myths I think the nation becoming monotheistic was also a downturn for women being treated as equals of men. It is in the NT that we start to find a hint of women being on the same footing as men and if it is done it is done so sparingly.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

And some believe that the "sons of God" reference was children of believers, who got involved with the womenfolk of unbelieving families.

I tell ya, I couldn't make it up myself...

Anyhow, if the "anointed" were to become angels and have no lusts, how come some angels had lusts?
    Inconsistent aren't they? (the WTS, that is).

• City Fan
    City Fan

Does anyone remember the illustration in the 'Live Forever' book where the male angels are looking down on a number of stunning hot babes bathing in a pool. No wonder they decided to be male.

Narkissos is of course right. In the original polytheistic context they were 'sons of God', sons of the god El who were themselves gods.

• heathen
    heathen

The belief that the angels are not identified with any sexuality is a concoction of the WTBTS . The bible always mentions them in a masculine sence and there is no belief in the bible that states they had a choice between male and female to begin with . I do find it interesting that they carried sperm cells tho . We do read later in the apostle Paul writings that women needed to wear a head covering on behalf of the angelic lust from the time of noah.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit