The doctrine of the Tri-Part man.

by LittleToe 65 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

LT

When Adam sinned his spirit [died/was broken] and so he became mere flesh, an intelligent animal.
    He is [reborn / resurrected / reconnected to the divine] when the spirit enters in.
    At this point a battle ensues between flesh and spirit, and the spirit can be "quenched".

When you say "the spirit enters in" who's spirit are we speaking of?

I have found this "doctrine" to be confusing, can you show how this teaching works with this verse?

Rom 8:16

The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

D Dog

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

I hope this isn't too off topic but this called to my mind the 3 categories of people according to gnostics. You had the hyletics (who realized only the material, physical, earthly reality), the psychics (who realized there was more to reality than the physical, they broadened their scope to the mind but didn't acquire true gnosis), and finally the pneumatics (achieved gnosis and so were sure to liberate their divine sparks within themselves).

Can we also call upon the findings from neuroscience (which shows the physical basis of mind), and modify that model to just two components? Say --- meld the mind and body as one, and the spirit as another?

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

google:
    As you read Genesis chapters one and two you get the distinct impression that animals teem out of the ground. Man also comes out of the ground, as the next stage in the creative act, however here (and here alone) does the account speak of God breathing into one of His creations. If the "breath of life" were merely the bringing of life into a body to make a soul (as the WTS suggests) then surely you'd expect similar language concerning the other creatures?

Lawrence:
    No, but I'll try to transcribe my notes. I'm really busy at the moment, so I don't know when I'll find time, but I'll make the attempt. Just quickly loking through my notes, the following verses were quoted, and may give you a starting point:
    Gen.1:11,12,21,25,26; Gen.2:7,8; Gen.6:3; Job.32:8; Prov.20:27; Zech.12:1; 1Cor.6:17; 1Thess.5:23; Heb.4:12.
    Also there was use of the Latin word Anima, in connevction with Soul, as being the thing that allows the Body to move.

Carmel:That's as I suspected and parallels much of what I'm presenting here, does't it?
    Do you think the terminology may need updating in view of modern scientific observations, such as animals having a form of consciousness that would seem to exceed what Abdul identified?

Leo:That's one reason that I suggested that it gives a different perspective for reading. Most approach their reading from a Body/Soul perspective. I think it's true to say that each writer would need to be examined on his own merits, as each would have held different views (as do theologians today, which Didier comments on). This is another bunch of philosophical constructs which were not necessarily as well developed as at later times (nor necessarily agreed upon).

Didier:
    You are, of course, right about the use of Neshamah in Gen.2:7, rather than Ruach. You'll find the use of Nidneh in the Daniel quotation that I supplied. I agree that there isn't consistent use throughout the bible, which takes us back to your statement about consistency. You have to want to "read in" the doctrine in the OT, which is pretty unsatisfactory. If this philosophical construct is truly how humans are formed, however, it does exist there to be found. In the case of a dual-man view, it's merely merging the Soul / Spirit into a single term, which isn't unhelpful as the even the diagram displays. It just questions to what depth the individual writer describes.

Going into the NT, the basis for this doctrine can easily be found there, in some writings, dependant on interpretation. I'm not arguing for the spirit of man being introduced as something new, but rather an enlivening of something that was already preexistant (albeit dead, corrupt, turned off, broken, or whatever might be a better description...). After all, not all NT writers had gnostic leanings. Ironically my favourite (John) seems to have, though

Would you say that the introduction (or insertion) of a new spirit was more consistent with Pauline thought, or the resurrection of an existing spirit? Does this idea evolve? How so for the Hebraic writers and then the Jesus character?

DDog:
    The Holy Spirit "quickens" or "makes alive" or "resurrects" or "rebirths" the spirit within man and then (in connection with the verse you quote) bears witness with this spirit that they are children of God.

Midget:
    I don't know if Neuro-Science is adequately evolved to answer our questions yet. There's anecdotal evidence of OBE's in patients who are observed to have desisted from all brain function. As well as some kind of life continuing, there was also a function of mind. Hence I think it's hard to distinguish where the body / Soul / Spirit has borders in a living human. I do believe that the forcible removal of a soul at death may potentially be a painful thing.

It does beg an important theological question, that of does the Soul / Spirit combination survive death, or just the Spirit. The answer to this has an impact on the theory of where our memories reside, and what continues...

In the real world, however, this doctrine is only really of use in freeing us from the notion that we have all the answers. For a WTS-enslaved mind I believe that may be useful. For a mind seeking to learn some level of critical thought and objectivity, it may also have a place.

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch
    It does beg an important theological question, that of does the Soul / Spirit combination survive death, or just the Spirit. The answer to this has an impact on the theory of where our memories reside, and what continues...

Excellent question there LT.Do the experiences of christian mystics have any bearing here? They often describe a merging with the Divine and a loss of self identity.....Just the Spirit continues then perhaps? But then there's the OBEs which if taken at face value would definitely argue for both Soul/Spirit. Either way, I agree that this discussion is very helpful to freeing up the mind from the WT brainfreeze. (But I still tend to think the mind is physically based ).

• gumby
    gumby

Isn't it grand that our loving heavenly father has supplied his written life saving word for us to understand so clearly and distinctly? The only thing he left out was an explanation to all the shit he had recoreded. I guess the Lord had intended all along for there to be scholars and translaters using dictionaries, commentaries, etc., who could perhaps figure it all out one day so others could learn from these scholars and teachers so they could appreciate our fathers lifesaving words.

The unfortunate millions who do not have access to computores, bible aids, libraries, teachers, and all the other help that is available to the fortunate......will just have to stay in spiritual darkness on all these theological issues if all you smart bastards have trouble sorting through all the mess.

Gumby

Sorry LT......but this type of thing gripes my ass to no end. Nice of god to spell things out for us isn't it?

Carry on folks

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

The only thing he left out was an explanation to all the shit he had recoreded.

did you forget about the WATCHTOWER?

• gumby
    gumby
    did you forget about the WATCHTOWER?

Damn.....I knew I left something out!

Gumby

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    You'll find the use of Nidneh in the Daniel quotation that I supplied.

Oops. I missed it. Nidneh is Aramaic, not Hebrew, that's why I couldn't find it in a Hebrew lexicon. Still the occurrence is unique in the OT. If the MT is correct it is an equivalent of Hebrew nadan (= "sheath") as I suggested, which would be plausible as a Greek concept (the body as the "vessel" of the "soul/spirit") since Daniel reflects a Hellenistic context. Yet the Aramaic expression bego' nidneh is quite obscure and many think it is a scribal error for begin denah or begon denah, "on account of this", cf. LXX en toutois).

As to the rest I have to think more about it. My main objection to the "tri-part" doctrine, I guess, is to the idea of a natural or originally created spirit in man, which sounds as an oxymoron inasmuch as the NT "spirit" is God's/Christ's action in the new creation, or redemption. To Paul the spirit is essentially new (Romans 7:6; cf. 6:4).

As to the OT, I think one of the oldest texts relating to the subject is Psalm 104, which depends on the Egyptian Hymn to Aton (Atum). Especially "When you hide your face, they are dismayed; when you take away their ruach, they die and return to their dust. When you send forth your ruach, they are created; and you renew the face of the ground."

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch
    ......will just have to stay in spiritual darkness on all these theological issues if all you smart bastards have trouble sorting through all the mess.

As an agnostic, Gumster I'm admitting I'm in "spiritual darkness" as you say...Groping around though can be rewarding in all sorts of ways...

• gumby
    gumby
    ...Groping around though can be rewarding in all sorts of ways...

I agree on that point my friend.....but it doesn't explain gods obscurity in his communication with us.

Off to work for me.......on Thansgiving day. I might as well, the rest of the dub family are all having a pagan dinner without me. Screw em.

Gumby

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit