Do You Feel A Spiritual Void?

by minimus 24 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Is there a "need" on your part to regain some form of spirtuality? At this point in time, do you not want to hear anything about God, the Bible, Jesus, Buddah, etc.????? Are you still "searching"?

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

I'm searching passively. No void though, yet. Maybe it's still to come, but up until now, I had all the "answers" given to me on a silver platter.

Kwin

• Dansk
    Dansk

Buddhism has everything in it that I need - but Ramana gave me clarity!

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

Dansk, What is Ramana?

I've often wanted to look into Buddism, but have no idea where to start.

Kwin

• Dansk
    Dansk

Hi Kwin,

There are many different schools of Buddhism, such as Hinayana, Mahayana, Tibetan, Zen, etc. I belong to no one school because all have so much to offer and the ultimate goal is the same - complete enlightenment.

Good books to start you on your path are The Buddha's Way by H. Siddhatissa, What the Buddha Taught by Walpola Rahula, The Three Pillars of Zen by Philip Kapleau and The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying by Sogyal Rimpoche. Most of these are available from Abebooks (second-hand): http://www.abebooks.com/ Amazon have some republished versions, but not all. I had the very great privilege of meeting the late H. Siddhatissa in the 1970s.

Sri Ramana Maharshi was a modern-day saint who is little known by most people. However, his teachings are profoundly inspirational and have helped me be totally unafraid of death. An excellent book I am currently reading is The Teachings of Sri Ramana Maharshi edited by David Godman. Absolutely brilliant!

See this website for information (Ramana was originally a Hindu): http://www.ramana-maharshi.org/

Hope this helps.

Ian

• crinklestein
    crinklestein

I don't feel the need to be part of a religious organization but I do feel spiritual. After I left I just weeded through all the JW bullshit and kept everything else. I discovered that there is no need to goto church, no need to make a public display of faith and no need to appease men and women who are in the same boat that you are. No one has any control over my belief system except for me. The way I look at it is if the theif on the cross next to Jesus can recieve salvation simply by professing his faith then why can't I? If the thief was saved when he did absolutley nothing to earn it then what is everyone worrying about? It's obvious that you cannot EARN your faith. It is given free to those who accept it. If you to perform works to earn your faith then what was the point of Jesus dying?

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

No spiritual void here. I no longer believe in God or the Bible's version of our existance. I do believe there is a Divine Cause who requires no worship, just to live my life in peace and harmony with the world doing good to mankind and passing it on.

I can honor the Cause everyday from wherever I am simply by doing good to myself and my neighbors. It puts the responsibility right where I think it belongs with the individual, me!

Peace,

Kate

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

yes I've felt the need to be spiritual, growing up in the bOrg did nothing to help me relate to God, Jesus, or who ever the big guy/gal in the sky is. for a long time i wasnt interested in anything spiritual, but having kids slowly changed my need. my kids love going to church and moving here to indy (with the massive amount of churches here - mindboggling) gave me the opportunity to find a church for my kids.

the first church i took my kids to here in indy i fell in love with. this church seems to fit, it reflects almost everything that i have been thinking about God Jesus etc but there's no believe everything we tell you or die s**t

the people at this church have been wonderful (i know it may be lovebombing but it's totally different from being in a kingdom hall) and the church band rocks. i love seeing the pastor bobbing up and down to the music.

my only thing about this church is i wonder y there arent more blacks there. i dont think it has to do with the outreach of the church. i keep running up against an attitude from blacks here about whites. they dont mix much here.

Mrs Jones

• wizedup
    wizedup

Maybe for several months I did. Felt like getting off a roller coaster after being turned upside down over and over at high speed. Once my equilibrium came around, I am content to NOT have all the answers, and certain I made the right choice. I still read the bible (not NWT) and feel it's O.K. to reach my own conclusions. After all isn't that what a PERSONAL relationship with GOD is? I do not go to a church, however would never judge anyone who did. ( so proud of myself for that now! lol ) I spend a lot of time talking to my Heavenly Father and much more time in thanksgiving and appreciating all He's done for my family. It makes me feel alive and in accord with Him.

It took almost a year of heart wrenching accepting the truth about the "truth". That was hard. I'm sure I'll still discover "new light" for myself and I will know it will be when God enlightens me, at my own pace. So I have to say there is no void anymore. I'm walking "hand in hand" trusting Him to lead me, even when it's dark.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

No spiritual void here. Having found an understanding of the universe that makes sense to me gives me the sense of peace I could never really attain when I was a Witness. I think the hunger for that sense of peace, of equilibrium, is the spiritual hunger that people feel.

SNG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit