Yes Min, I agree 100%. I lived through it and speak from experience.
A good way to make new friends is the following:
1) join clubs with people who have similar interests ( i.e. cooking clubs; book clubs; sailing clubs, etc)
2) if you have kids; join the local PTA and GET INVOLVED! Offer to help your kids teacher reading to the class ( class mom or dad).
3) join the local CIVIC GROUPS; AND GET INVOLVED in your community. There are always activists in every community!
4) VOLUNTEER at your local hospital or school district. Jehovahs witnesses think that their preaching work absolves them from any contributions to society. WRONG! Give back whatever you can; wherever you can. There are many who live by this motto ( non JWs)
5) sponser a block party in your neighborhood and meet all your neighbors; note the ones you like and get along with and invite them to your home for a bar b que. They will respond and invite you back. The snow ball gets bigger.
6) ON Xmas and Thanksgiving; if you do not want to celebrate the holidays in an "All out " fashion; volunteer your time in a soup kitchen. You will meet wonderful people. I do this with my wife and kids every Thanksgiving and it is a great example to my kids. The other volunteers are as civic minded as we are. The people we are helping are forever greatful and they let you know it.
All these activities worked for me and brought me into contact with many liked minded people who became friends As you move forward the social circles literally get smaller (everyone knows everyone else); and you would be surprised just how small the world really is. It works.