So I finally said "I am pagan"

by Sirona 26 Replies latest jw experiences

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Sirona:
    Well done.

Deeper level, huh?
    Only if you use a heavy mallet to pound a hole in your head, before inserting the book between your frontal lobes and the rest of your brain...

• ballistic
    ballistic

Well done Sirona. Isn't it normally the other way round? I mean, aren't we classified as "pagan" and "anti Christ" and all else before we've even opened our mouths. For example, in my neck of the woods, a common term for a JC is a "witch hunt" LOL.

• Sirona
    Sirona

Thanks everyone,

I'm wondering if my bro will shun me now...he is truly a WT man. In fact, it scared me how he leaned forward in his seat, one elbow resting on one knee, gesturing with his finger as he "preached" about the new book. It reminded me of an elder! (he is MS, but they're promoting MS's left right and centre in the local cong, so it will be soon, I think)

My mum was OK with me yesterday when I visited, so that sounds OK. We're having a makeup party this week at her house and she's invited JW friends....and I've invited some of my friends (actually none of them happen to be pagan...LOL)

I'll let you know about the new book.

Sirona

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Sirona's brother: I raise my cuppa of PG Tips to you to say: there have been bigger scams and lies told throughout human history, but at the end of time when the list is read, it won't be too long before Jehovah's Witnesses are mentioned. And it's such a boring scam! At least the Mormons make up something interesting.

Sirona, forgive a very ignorant question but I am a little curious. You mentioned you are pagan, is that similar to Wicca? If you don't mind me asking, what are the basic beliefs of a pagan? Do you believe in a spiritual plurality, i.e. multiple gods? Or do you view spirituality more in a natural/earth way?

Forgive me, I mean no disrespect and if you'd prefer not to talk about it, I understand. I'm sure my terminology is crude, but I was curious.

Chris

Chris

• Sirona
    Sirona

Hi Chris,

You mentioned you are pagan, is that similar to Wicca?

I am Wiccan. I was initiated into a Wiccan coven last year. It is perfectly understandable that you ask this question, because even pagans can't decide how we are categorised! Here is a little guide to the words you might come across:

Neo-pagan - Usually used to describe a modern day person with pagan beliefs. Those with pagan beliefs can be part of various groups with various names (Druid, Wicca, etc)

Pagan - Pagans tend to use this word to refer, not to a non-christian, but to someone who has certain earth centred spiritual beliefs.

Wicca - a form of neo-paganism which has only appeared in the 20th century, but which tries to bring together some older ideas and practices and adapt it for today.

If you don't mind me asking, what are the basic beliefs of a pagan? Do you believe in a spiritual plurality, i.e. multiple gods? Or do you view spirituality more in a natural/earth way?

Neo-paganism is almost as diverse as christianity. Therefore it depends. Most pagans see the divine in nature and observe the seasons (which we believe can teach us something - there is a phrase "as above so below" which refers to how the macrocosm can reflect or mirror the microcosm). Many believe that there is One divine source and that human beings put faces to this One (hence we have our different "Gods", seen from a human perspective). However there are those who believe in Gods existing purely as separate entities in their own right (sounds wierd but I tend to think of it both ways, that we put faces to the divine but then those faces *are* in existence, they're not just a figment of a human imagination).

Spirituality is definately viewed in an earthy way - we don't think that ignoring the physical is the way to go (which is pretty much how many other religions view it). The physical is also divine and not to be hated - the flesh isn't sinful, rather the flesh reflects the greater divinity which permeates the universe. This said, there is no "good" and "bad" - only polarity. Death is necessary, as is suffering and there isn't a conscious God force who is separate from this process and who should be intervening.

Thats just my opinion. I hope I've made it clearer!

Sirona

• Sassy
    Sassy

I'm glad your mom isn't shunning you. Boy I know my mom would. She is shunning me now just for stopping meeting attendance. She'd about die if I had news like yours. I guess the hold the WTS has on her is too strong and blinding..

I'm happy for you.

• Special K
    Special K

Way to go Sirona.

I too am glad your mom isn't shunning you.

It will hurt if your brother turns his back on you. There is no denying that. It sure sounds like the J.W. talons are deep in his psyhe right now. Damned J.W. programming.

It will be interesting to know what the name of this new J.W. book is.

Special K

• Dansk
    Dansk

Hi Sirona,

Congratulations! Your coming out into the open with your family might not be popular, but at least it's honest. You'll be able to live a lot more freely now!

After reading about your form of paganism it sounds a lot like animistic pantheism - for which I have a lot of respect.

Love,

Ian

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Thanks Sirona.

Good job by the way with your family. I hope they continue to value family love over cultish obedience.

• Gadget
    Gadget

Good for you Sirona!

I'd hate to think of how my JW parents would react if they found out I was pagan. I got a lecture of my exjw brother and sister when they found out I was talking to apostates, and another when they found out I was pagan so god knows what my parents would say.

Are you going to the PF conference in Croyden this weekend? If so you'll be able to find me in the hotel bar at Jury's all night.....

BB

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit