Guideposts and Serena Williams

by Triple A 39 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Triple A
    Triple A

Imagine my surprise when my wife shows me the cover of the October 2004 Guideposts with Serena Williams photo on it and the caption, "Serena Williams Serving The Spirit." For those that have not heard of the Guideposts, from its own pages, "Guideposts is a monthly inspirational, interfaith, nonprofit magazine written by people from all walks of life. Its articles help readers achieve their maximum personal and spiritual potential."
    The magazine carries a four-page article by Serena Williams. I thought it was an offence against the WTS to read published material by others. What is the WTS stance on writing for other publications?
    Did she submit this article to the Guideposts because the WTS would not publish it? Here are some thoughts as to why they may not have.
    1. First the title: Serving The Spirit. Is this not serving two Gods in the WTS's eyes
    2. Actually the title is misleading, in that she is not talking about serving The Holy Spirit, but is she talking about serving or lifting up her own spirit. This sounds self serving and against WTS doctrine.
    3. The name Jehovah is never used; God (4 times) and Lord (once) are used when mentioning the Deity.
    4. She admits that she prays for herself.

"And I pray, Help me stay strong out here. Help me stay calm and do my best. Thank you, Lord."

Understand that I see nothing wrong with this prayer. It is just not what I understand a good JW to be asking for themselfes.
    5. No mention of her work as a JW anywhere in the article.
    My next letter is to the Guideposts and find out what they were thinking. They say interfaith, but I had always found that to be inter-Christian-faith.

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

She lost the match against Maria Sherapova Monday night. I was watching to see if she said anything about Jehovah, in case she won, but she didn't. I don't know about this one. I am not sure if I think she considers herself a witness.

• Triple A
    Triple A

itsallgoodnow,

If she was baptized, would she not have to DA herself or be DF by her elders.

Triple A

• Poztate
    Poztate
    If she was baptized, would she not have to DA herself or be DF by her elders.

Guess what...there are two sets of standards..If you are rich and famous you can get away with lots.They do not want to push and then they have negative press with what they did. Much easier to sit on your ass and do nothing.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Ask your wife if this is the 'sister' she is talking about

• Triple A
    Triple A

A Paduan,

I am not sure that I understand your question for my wife. All she did is show me the cover of the magazine.

Triple A

• shotgun
    shotgun
    "And I pray, Help me stay strong out here. Help me stay calm and do my best. Thank you, Lord."

She sure grunts awfully loud when she returns the ball considering the lord is helping her...he must be a slacker. I wonder if he helps Andy Roddick with his incredible serve.

Makes me sick when I see anyone ask God to help them with petty things when children are starving all over the world.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

Jehovah's witnesses ask for themselves all the time. I know I always did. I never heard anything wrong with it...

But the interfaith aspect of the magazine would have got ME into trouble. They are not cool with sharing religious thoughts even with other Christians.

CZAR

ps: shotgun, maybe her prayers are why she's smacking balls for a living while you just suck them...

• Makena1
    Makena1

Very bizarre - but not much surprises me anymore.

All best,

Makena

who will admit when he was a good little JW kid, used to pray to Jehovah to help me catch a fish!

• Voyager
    Voyager

Here you go TripleA

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit