I'm new and need advice

by lucky 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Brummie
    Brummie

Lucky welcome aboard, great to meet you and thank you for sharing part of you're story. (((hug)))

Just blame your husband! hahahaha Well he wanted a christmas tree and you know headship and all that! Well he insist on celebrating the kids birthdays!

While this is said laughing, I think it works well for many ladies who are JWs, I knew a few who cooked the turkey on Christmas and had trimmings etc and the Watchtower allowed it because of the none JW unbelieving mates. I'm sure you're hubby wont mind taking the blame for you're enjoyment :)

As for christmas, I feel comfortable with it since I dont know anyone that bows down and worships the tree, do you?, lol. Birthdays are fine also, how many people have you got on you're list to behead? I've got a few. See how JWs take it to the most extreme?

Brummie

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Lucky,

You truly are lucky. One of the best things to do if one wants to fade is move. You did it years ago. After the relocation one must make no contact with JW's. You have done this well also. I wouldn't count the elder visit much if, as you say, you didn't speak much.

As MegaDude suggested do what you want and blame it on your husband. "This is what he wants Mom" is all you need to say and probably is not a lie.

Now can you avoid confrontations while visiting with your family. You will have a delicate balance between revealing little things that may help your siblings to wake up without causing the question of apostasy to be raised. Play safe and just be supportive and show them you are happy. When the flood of discontent hits them as it will some day perhaps they will come to talk to you.

I think you have a good chance.

Jst2laws

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

A lot of people seem to find the fading route works best for them. For me I cannot maintain a facade. What you see is what you get. So I would tell them and live authentically and freely from lies and pretense. You sleep better at night, you don't have to remember who said what to whom. But that's just me.

Sherry

• toreador
    toreador
    A lot of people seem to find the fading route works best for them. For me I cannot maintain a facade. What you see is what you get. So I would tell them and live authentically and freely from lies and pretense. You sleep better at night, you don't have to remember who said what to whom. But that's just me.

I can concur with that advice. Trying to remember who you told would be no fun and sooner or later will catch up with you.

• codeblue
    codeblue

Welcome Lucky!!!

I too was raised in the truth(tm) and about 1.5 years ago started to fade.

WE had already relocated 1,000 to a different congregation, but I never told them our previous secretary's address or phone number so they could not forward the cards............for good reason. I started having doubts, based on seeing the Dateline of May 2002 about the JW Pedophiles......then I added up all the weird occurences of lack of love with moving to 7 different congregations and figured: "somthing isn't right with this picture"..........

I think you have an excellent chance of fading..............this is of course if you can when you call your MOM or other JW family members keep a good front up.... At least the city where you live DO not have your publisher card.

take care........I hope all goes well for you!!!

hugs,

CodeBlue

• roybatty
    roybatty
    Can I still be disfellowshipped after all these years?

It's all up to the local elders and the CO. The general "rule of thumb" was if the people in the community considered you a JW, then the elders would feel compelled to act. However, it sounds like you've moved across the country and have never gone to the new Kingdom Hall. Unless there is an overzealous CO or the local elders feel like having a df'ing party, I'd be surprised if they did anything. But remember, anything is possible with these guys.

The most important thing for you to remember is that you need to do what's best for you, your husband and your future kids. It would be nice if your mother understood and respected your freedom to choice but don't let the fear of upsetting her stop you from doing the right thing.

Some people fade, some people don't. I chose not to. There are pros and cons both ways. I liked the fact that I didn't have to "sneak" around or pretend to believe something is true when I know it's not only wrong but harmful. I liked sitting in front of these elders I served with and respectfully explaining why it's not the truth and that they do not have any power over me. For me, it was pure freedom. I also did it for my kids. I didn't want them to have the "outcast" JW life I had as a kid. You know what I'm talking about. Having to sit in the school library while the other kids celibrated a b-day or some holiday. BTW, you'll be overjoyed at seeing the things they will experience in their "normal" non-JW life. Things you and I missed out on.

I feel weird about starting to celebrate Christmas

I did at first but you'll find it has less to do with religion then it has to do with spending time with your family. My kids and I have been attending the family Christmas party and it's great to see aunt and uncles and cousins at least once a year.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

Hey Lucky, check your PM.

Kwin

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

Happy Birthday? If that profile date is accurate..

• Happy Guy :)
    Happy Guy :)

Ya Happy Birthday Lucky!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit