bisous

Celtic replies the Celts of course

• bisous
    bisous

Celtic replies the Celts of course

• bem
    bem

Native American, Choctaw,

SP that was good, 'cannibal' you been thinkin' yur folks ate people? ;-)
  • StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Flyin-

Celt-

Why don't you just ask for your account back instead of using bisous's?

• Mutz
    Mutz

As we all originated via migrations from Northern Africa at some point or another I'd guess we were all
    the religion, if you could call it that, being practiced at that time. Organised religion is something that came along with organised city\states.

• blondie
    blondie

Native American

Jewish

It took looking into my family ancestry formally to discover these hidden secrets in my family tree.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Oops, duplicate.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

My maternal ancestry is English, Irish, Scotts, German, Swedish, and some Native Indian thrown in - not sure it it's Sioux or Mississippi Choctaw. I've explored Native American religions - the Lakota (one branch of Sioux), Ojibwa, and NW Seseewas (smokehouse). It's easiest to explore as it's here in the US.

So my Brittain pre-christian religion would be Celtic - expressed today in some of the wiccan groups.

I just did a little research on my Germanic religious roots and I am surprized (amazed) to find commonality with the Norsk religion.

Conversion of the Germans to Christianity began as early as the 4th cent. A.D. , but it took many centuries for the new religion to spread throughout the northern lands of Europe. In Nazi Germany the spirit of the old religion and the heroic attributes of the Germanic gods were revived as part of the propaganda program of the Nazi party. (Ugh - Scary!)

Germanic religion, like most ancient religions, was polytheistic. In early times there were two groups of gods : the Aesir and the Vanir. However, after a war between the rival pantheons (which perhaps reflects a war between two rival tribes), the defeated Vanir were absorbed into the Aesir, and the gods of both were worshiped in a single pantheon. This pantheon, which according to some accounts consisted of 12 principal deities, had Woden (Odin) as its chief god. Other important deities were Tiw (Tyr), Thor (Donar), Balder , Frey , Freyja , and Frigg . The gods dwelled in Asgard , where each deity had his or her own particular abode. The most beautiful of the palaces was Valhalla ; there Woden, attended by the Valkyries , gave banquets to the dead heroes. The ancient Nordic gods, however, unlike the gods of most religions, were not immortal. They continually renewed their youth by eating the apples of Idun, but they were doomed, like mortals, to eventual extinction.

The gods were opposed by the giants and demons, representing the destructive and irrational forces of the universe. It was prophesied that at Ragnarok , the doom of the gods, the forces of evil and darkness led by Loki and his brood of monsters, would attack the gods of Asgard. After a ferocious battle, in which most of the gods and giants would be destroyed, the universe would end in a blaze of fire. However, it was also prophesied that from the ashes of the old world a new cosmos would emerge and a new generation of gods and humans would dwell in harmony.

http://reference.allrefer.com/encyclopedia/G/GermancRe.html

Hugs

Brenda

• Mulan
    Mulan

As far back as I can research, and religion is mentioned, my family were Puritans, Quakers, Congregationalists, Christian Scientists and then JW's. Weird mob, eh?

Pre christian, I don't really know. Probably some Celtic thing.

My great grandmother was a Montauk Indian, so whatever they practiced before she was born. She became a Quaker when she married my great grandfather.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Hey, Stinky. I didn't realize there were african canibals. I think it was more rare (no pun intended) than was believed by the Brittish and Dutch explorers. Then, again, I've never had pizza made from casava and spiced ground human, either. Toasted termites on top would give a nice crunch!

Now New Guinea, Indonesia, most of the Islands of the S. Pacific had cannibalism. Usually as a form of ritual. So did the Aztecs of Mexico and central america. Nice folk, as long as I'm not invited to lunch.

Hugs

bren

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit