What's Your Prechristian Culture

by Satanus 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Satanus
    Satanus

As christianity/catholicism pushed its way across europe, it bulldosed over various and many cultures. This included indigenous and other religions of the various tribes over europe. Have you looked into what yours was before the christian wave? My ancestors' were probably asatru.

S

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Druid-Pagan I think

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz
    As christianity/catholicism pushed its way across europe

Uh.. everyone that posts here are not of Euro descent..

For me, I'm guessing African cannibals ..

• Satanus
    Satanus

SP

Pizza w cassava and human topping Christianty has been in europe so long, that most europeans and people from there don't even think of their ancestors as ever being anything but christian, anymore. Roots practically forgotten, an issue forgotten, unlike other areas of the more recently christianised, like africa or south america. But, those people, feel free to name yours also.

S

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

Satanus, I've looked into it a little but unfortunately I don't recall, so sorry! But I could look it up right now for the Scots, English, Irish, Welsh, and Dutch in my ancestry.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Seeit

I could look it up right now for the Scots, English, Irish, Welsh, and Dutch

Well, i'm all interest, now.

S

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

Oh sure you are! But just for that, I'm going to look it up anyway! LOL.

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

Ok, such a quick study can't do the subject justice, of course, but here's a start:

What We Don't Know About the Ancient Celts __ "When one says that one wants to study and, perhaps, reconstruct the religion of the ancient Celts, it is well to be clear about whom one speaks. Celtic describes a language group which, over time, has divided into two strains -- P-Celtic (Brythonic) spoken in Wales, Cornwall and Brittany and Q-Celtic (Gaelic) spoken today in Ireland, Scotland and the Isle of Man. Celtic speaking people inhabited much of Europe for millennia and their descendants live on today. Each locale and each time offer different views or hints about the nature of the relationship of the Celtic people to divinity." Learn what tools are available for this study and how different Celtic societies approached the divine. - By Rowan Fairgrove - http://www.conjure.com/whocelts.html

Now the Dutch....

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I'm Scottish on my dad's dad's side. Native American on Dad's mother's side. And mom's mother was German. I know the Native American beliefs better than the European ones.

Stinky, I'm not doubting the possibility I have some African cannibals back there somewhere. No one in the family ever said so, like white people would admit to such, but I wouldn't doubt it at all. Very cute comment by the way. You made me laugh.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Same as my grandparents were... Jewish.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit