Did you read the book "1984" of Georges Orwell?

by Nicolas 28 Replies latest jw friends

• willy_think
    willy_think

There is a movie that is as true to the book as any i've ever seen.

I Love Big Brother.

I love Big Brother.

I love Big Brother.

• Bubbamar
    Bubbamar

I've read it about 3 times. The first time was in 1984 - I was 16 and had to read it in my 11th grade English class. I loved the book and it was my favorite for a long time. I couldn't have told you why I loved it so much....I never drew the first parallel. But when I saw it mentioned on internet sites like this it made perfect sense!!! I was so blind.

• Balsam
    Balsam

I think it is one of those must read books. I picked up the movie of it too by the same name with John Hurt in it. Very good. That is a story that can apply to religion, or government or anything by which powerful men try to fool the public.

• JT
    JT

i saw the movie and wanted to cry, - the most powerful scene in the movie is when the guy goes into this high ranking officails office and the guy TURNS THE RADIO OFF and the guy is shocked since everyone is required to listen to the message from the leaders and all of a sudden the HIGHER UP HAVE DIFFERENT RULES TO LIVE BY

being a former bethelite i came to see how the higher ups in the org have a different set of rules and then with ray's book --he showed just how the HIGHEST ONES IN THE ORG indeed have different rules

when you combine - 1984, THE WIZARD OF OZ, AND RAYS BOOK you will see the wt in a light that is truly one that says

PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN

• Piph
    Piph

Oooh...I've been wondering if the movie is any good. I'm gonna have to rent it!!

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

I read Nineteen Eighty Four when I was a teenager, along with The Clergyman's Daughter, Keep the Aspidistra Flying, Animal Farm, The Road to Wigan Pier. I can't find that anthology now, must have got lost along the way.

As a severely brainwashed teenager, I am not sure if I realised the parallel of the dystopia of Nineteen Eighty Four and the life I was part of.

I would recommend reading more of George Orwell's work, and if you like dystopias, try The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. This is far superior to her more recent dystopia, Oryx and Crake which explores the effect of genetic research.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Eric Blair is one of my fave British author of the 20th C.

1984 is a jewel. It's prophetic. Anyone from a high-control group can see paralells with their lives, and the mendatious use of 'new light' by the government to control the populace is as applicable in modern politics as it is in cults.

• JT
    JT

Oooh...I've been wondering if the movie is any good. I'm gonna have to rent it!!

#####

we had to watch it twice, it is kind dark and cold, grey, so you may want to watch it more than once and then you can pick up stuff that you may miss the first time

but it is good- in terms of clearlly demostrating high control groups- acting is weak, but the theme and focus is powerful

• observador
    observador

Never saw the movie, but the book is good.

Observador.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit