Did you read the book "1984" of Georges Orwell?

by Nicolas 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Nicolas
    Nicolas

This book is one of the best book I've ever read. It describe well the technics that the Watchtower use to manipulate their Jehovah's Witness.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Yes, I've read it.

• justhuman
    justhuman

A MUST read for those who are exiting mind control cults like JW's, Mormons etc. It was my first book that I started to read when I was in the process of getting out the Borg.

It discribes the technics that Big Brother - the leaders of the party have been using upon the masses. And I was suprised to see that the GB was doing the same.

My favorite line from this novel that fits exactly to the WT is:

Everything faded into mist...the past was erased, the erasure was forgotten, the lie became truth...

• Piph
    Piph

I'm in the middle of reading it right now, actually.

• justhuman
    justhuman

Good Piph

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I haven't read that for over twenty years.
    In my pre-1984, very-JW days, I applied it to the Great Tribulation.
    Now I take an altogether different slant on it.

• Freedom Fighter
    Freedom Fighter

I've recently re - read it and the parrallels are amazing to the JWs.
    Great book that really sets you thinking.

FF

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

I did at age 16. It was an especially interesting read for me because I first read the book "The Orwellian World of Jehovah's Witnesses". That got me interested in reading the novel.

• lawrence
    lawrence

JustHuman-

That line brought back many memories when I read '1984' in school. '1984', a reverse of 1948, and what Orwell projected to happen by then. George wrote a book previous to '1984' that was seminal to many of the thoughts in '1984' - 'Down and out in London & Paris' - anyone read that book? Very insightful to life, societies, and control.

• franklin J
    franklin J

amazing how the totalitarian creeds are all the same.....the people always suffer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit