NWT Scholars

by homme perdu 166 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ellderwho
    ellderwho
    Bubba, that is true of all translations, which is why it is a good idea to compare translations to get a better grasp of what was originally written.

What, like John 1:1? Or was that the imput of Johannes Gerber? (Nwt) A well known spiritist.

• Earnest
    Earnest
    Earnest : it is a good idea to compare translations to get a better grasp of what was originally written.
    elderwho : What, like John 1:1? Or was that the imput [sic] of Johannes Gerber [sic]? (Nwt) A well known spiritist.

Johannes Gerber is a saxophonist and has nothing in common with spiritism except the movement of air. But even if he had practiced spiritism, and translated the Bible, your comment has no relevance to my suggestion. The implication you make is a logical fallacy described as guilt by association, or the Hitler card, at http://www.fallacyfiles.org/guiltbya.html. Read all about it.

In the book Truth in Translation Jason Beduhn does compare nine translations of this verse and concludes (p.133) :

Bias has shaped most of these translations much more than has accurate attention to the wording of the Bible. The NW translation of John 1:1 is superior to that of the other eight translations we are comparing. I do not think it is the best possible translation for a modern English reader; but at least it breaks with the KJV tradition followed by all the others, and it does so in the right direction by paying attention to how Greek grammar and syntax actually work.

Earnest

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

LOL....I think a different Johannes Gerber was in mind.

• AlanF
    AlanF

It's Johannes Greber, for the record.

elderwho's list of NWT translators is correct. All of them, except for Fred Franz, did virtually no translating. A few contributed to the English language wording, but that's about it. Mostly what they did was the busy-work, like cross-referencing and footnoting.

While moronic JW apologists like "scholar" claim that the NWT translators are anonymous, I've had these confirmed by several former insiders, and they always agree independently.

AlanF

• VM44
    VM44

Hi AlanF,

elderwho's list of NWT translators is correct

But who is on the current NWT Bible translation committee?

or, as I mentioned in my previous posting, is current edition of the NWT essentially the last?

--VM44

P.S. If the WT has a shortage of Bible language experts, then instead of sending people to learn greek, hebrew, etc, why are they are sending scores of people off to learn to be lawyers?

• scholar
    scholar

Alan F

The so-called identity of the NWT Committee is based on information from former insiders and you call me 'moronic'. What evidence exists for such claims? Why is there no written or archival material available to support such rumour, gossip or innuendo? The plain fact of the matter is that the condition for the gift of the NWT to the Soiciety was that the names of that Committee were forever more to remain unknown and unknowable.

scholar

BA MA Studies in Religion

• AlanF
    AlanF

Hi VM44,

: But who is on the current NWT Bible translation committee?

I have no idea.

: or, as I mentioned in my previous posting, is current edition of the NWT essentially the last?

I suspect it's the last full translation, except for minor revisions.

: P.S. If the WT has a shortage of Bible language experts, then instead of sending people to learn greek, hebrew, etc, why are they are sending scores of people off to learn to be lawyers?

They've obviously done enough stupid and illegal or questionable things that they need a LOT of lawyers.

AlanF

• ellderwho
    ellderwho

Thanks Alan I stand corrected.

The plain fact of the matter is that the condition for the gift of the NWT to the Soiciety was that the names of that Committee were forever more to remain unknown and unknowable.

scholar

Oh I see it was "conditional"

Which proves absolutely nothing. In all of your "scholarly" training didnt it seem strange that the NWT is regarded as a biased twisted Bible?

Its the same with your kooky idea of 607. Both 607 and NWT are in the same boat. Nothing to back up NWT and nothing to back up 607.

Youve failed miserably at 607.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    I suspect it's the last full translation, except for minor revisions.

WTS list of revisions for new NWT bible:

- Copyright date
    - Edition number

• AlanF
    AlanF

Non-scholar said:

: The so-called identity of the NWT Committee is based on information from former insiders

Correct.

: and you call me 'moronic'.

Correct. Note, however, that your moronicity is based on far more than your silly claims about the NWT translators. It's based on your history on this and other boards such as Channel-C, where you're currently being disemboweled.

: What evidence exists for such claims?

I already told you, you moron: Former Bethelites who spilled the beans.

: Why is there no written or archival material available to support such rumour, gossip or innuendo?

There's none available from Watchtower archives because the Watchtower Society accedes to the wishes of the NWT translation committee to remain anonymous. But you already know this, so your implication is a red herring.

When people who know such insider information firsthand tell others about it, it's not "rumour, gossip or innuendo". It's the facts. For example, one man I know quite well worked as a proofreader for the NWT committee in the early 1950s. He had daily contact with most of the translation committee members while he was on that assignment. Another person I know quite well worked as a researcher on the Proclaimers book, and had full access to Fred Franz's files. Those files contained letters from Franz to various scholars about translation issues that were clearly related to his work on the NWT. Raymond Franz was a Governing Body member and certainly was in a position to know who the translators were.

Are you so stupid as to think that no one aside from the translation committee members themselves knew who the members were? I think not -- you're just moronically stubborn.

: The plain fact of the matter is that the condition for the gift of the NWT to the Soiciety was that the names of that Committee were forever more to remain unknown and unknowable.

So what? Some people have not respected the wishes of the committee. And more power to them!

AlanF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit