NWT Scholars

by homme perdu 166 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    Where is the list of kings for Israel and Judah? Where is an alternative biblical chronology?

They can be found (as far as historical events are concerned, i.e. not Adam or the Flood for instance) in any Biblical reference work. And, yes, they do slightly differ with one another: this is the mark of scholarly (= hypothetical) reconstruction, which tries to make the best of all the available data instead of picking up just one date (539) and then making up the rest out of thin air, closing one's eyes to anything but the Bible: this is no scholarship, it is cultic pronouncement.

What calender year concludes the Gentile Times? How is prophecy fulfilled in modern times?

Although they follow the previous ones without any word of caution (poor methodology), these questions are not of the same kind. The "Gentile times", "prophecy fulfilled in modern times" are unscientific, unfalsifiable, religious / cultic concepts. Any scholar trying to answer such questions would make a fool of him/herself.

• Wallflower
    Wallflower

"The truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it, ignorance my deride it, but in the end, there it is."Winston Churchill
    Scholar, you're sh*gged!

• scholar
    scholar

Narkissos

Yes, alternative biblical chronologies can be found today and have their origins particularly with the work of James Ussher who made his chronology famous by its insertion in the meritorious King James Bible. I have pointed out on this forum that there are chronologies available toafay but not one from apostates or WT critics. The study of chronology is complex and there is no uniformity within scholarship on this subject but the WT Society fro its earliest history has provided a coherent presentation of the biblical data with the secular data. In other words we have always had a chronology that establishes prophecy and buils faith in God's Word.

Our chronology is based upon Absolute or pivotal dates and is not conjured out of thin air as you imply. All of the dates are in fact calcuable and based mainly on biblical history. This is not cultic behaviour because cults are not based on reason but our teachings are firmlly based on reason as any impartial investigation would show. Jehovah's Witnesses are interested in biblical scholarship as evidenced by the making of a translation which is the envy of scholars and proves that we are competent in producing works of serious scholarship.

scholar

BA MA Studies in Religion

• core
    core
    I have pointed out on this forum that there are chronologies available toafay but not one from apostates or WT critics.

Not sure what logic is employed here - as most Chronologies will have been produced by those who are not - and do not support - Jehovah's Witnesses then the absence of an "apostate" chronology - or one labelled "apostate" is fatuous

From memory I recall Scholar that you have made much in the past of "peer review" when you have criticised the writings of Jonsson - do you apply the same rule rigidly to the NWT (and other publications since from the WT) becasue to be even handed and fair you should hold to one rule for all - not selectively removing the WT writers from any "peer reviews" because of anonymity.

The study of chronology is complex and there is no uniformity within scholarship on this subject but the WT Society fro its earliest history has provided a coherent presentation of the biblical data with the secular data. In other words we have always had a chronology that establishes prophecy and buils faith in God's Word.

"We have always had a chronology..." .How True - leading to 1914, 1925 and 1975 to name but a few of the fatal failures of this chrinology.

Our chronology is based upon Absolute or pivotal dates and is not conjured out of thin air as you imply

Absolute Dates...now there's a phrase I can't remember seeing in WT print for many years - think that little phrase was dropped by the WT years ago.

Jehovah's Witnesses are interested in biblical scholarship as evidenced by the making of a translation which is the envy of scholars and proves that we are competent in producing works of serious scholarship.

Reviewing the recent publications from the WT one can only wonder at the lack of any serious content - when was the last book of serious scholarship - the Aid Book perhaps - but of course that was the work of Apostates!

"Scholar BA MA Studies in Religion"

Core writes - yes I also have the right to use designations of degrees and awards but dont use them as they prove nothing - your use of such shows that you are concerned with such worldly trifles - I am concerned with gaining back what I lost in serving the WT for decades amd making the most of my life - chronology - of your sort - has failed me - no Paradise, No New System, No Justice - just more loads and burdens from the "faithful slave" - and please dont even get started on the verse regarding those who mock the presence of the son of man etc - you and your leaders are blinded to the simple truth that every "tack" you make shows how flawed your chronology is - if it was from God would it have needed "tacking" regularly, I think not.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Remember the headlines Scholar?

"Knocked Out Boxer Declares Himself The Winner".

HS

• scholar
    scholar

core

I simply ask for an alternative biblical chronology from those critical of WT chronology and none is produced or recommended thus far. That is not too much to ask. No critic has the capacity or courage to produce a chronology which says much about their honesty and integrity. WT chronology has a long and proud history over many centuries which now provides a good foundation for the interpretation of prophecy and eschatology.

The NWT has been peer reviewed and these reviews were first published in the journals by Thomson, Byington, and Metzger and the internet has reviews published from various quarters. So, Jonsson unlike Furuli has not had his book reviewed because it simply a piece of anti-Witness propaganda and not a serious piece of academic research or a work of fiction.

scholar

BA MA Studies in Religion

• core
    core
    WT chronology has a long and proud history over many centuries which now provides a good foundation for the interpretation of prophecy and eschatology

Scholar - sorry but I fail to see how a vast number of people, who have had failed WT Prophecy to live with, would agree with you - if WT Chronology was unflawed then 1975 must have passed my by, 1914 my grandparents must have missed "the rapture" and so on and on - WT Chronology is inextricably linked with the failed dates so it is anything but a good foundation for interpretation of prophecy or are we all missing something - is this the new system, has Satan been Abyssed? Are the 144,000 complete and ruling from the heavens - WT Chronology promised this and more - .....long ago

Re Peer Review and Jonssons book - I have read it and do not see anything but a book of cold information - let the reader use discernment - it satisfies me - and...just looked over my (complete since 1956) library of Theocratic Literature and can find no scholarly works other than Aid Book/Insight - Yes books like Qualified to be Ministers were excellent for purpose but not scholarly reviews of critical chronology - I have had sight of Furulis works (not sure if all of them) and they seem no more scholarly than many of the posts here.

Simple issue is for individuals to decide as no one acid test will convince you or me - for me I have seen the light - and it does not come from Brooklyn - I have seen so many changes in my time as a witness that I cannot accept that a God of Principle, fixed and absolute, would allow such error to exist in the past - yes I have heard the one about "imperfect men" and it does not wash - imperfect = no Holy Spirit in my book.

May I ask you why you think we live so deep into the time of the end, why 1975 is now a faded memory? Why were we misled - - I lived throught those times (as an elder) and know that it was not the publishers wagging this particular dog but the WT leading us all a merry dance - your chronology should have prevented many from destroying the quality of their lives by serving the Organisation which promoted 1975 - promoted - pushed and rammed down our throats from the top.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit