NWT Scholars

by homme perdu 166 Replies latest watchtower bible

• homme perdu
    homme perdu

The book, Reasoning From The Scriptures does not inform the reader on who are the NWT scholars nor their education background. Could someone provide some information concerning the NWT scholars?

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

Of course it was Franz and co.?

They obviously were never schooled in Greek

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Crisis of Conscience by former governing body member Raymond Franz on page 56, footnote 16 states: "The New World Translation bears no translator's name and is presented as the anonymous work of the 'New World Translation Committee.' Other members of the committee were Nathan Knorr, Albert Schroeder and George Gangas. Fred Franz, however, was the only one with sufficient knowledge of the Bible languages to attempt translation of this kind. He had studied Greek for two years at the university of Cincinnati but was only self-taught in Hebrew."

So here you have your "scholars," who no longer remain anonymous.

• Will Power
    Will Power

NWT Scholars

now theres an oxymoron

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Since I came to this board I learned, to my surprise, that there are a few JW scholars (e.g. Furuli), but the WT doesn't seem to trust them so much and in any case they had no part in the NWT.

This being said, I guess there were a few people on the NWT Committee with at least an elementary knowledge of Biblical Hebrew and Greek. Without them the NWT would be much worse.

I once knew the man who translated the NWT into French. He was not a scholar, but he cared to learn Hebrew and Greek and managed to do a very careful translation (although he himself admitted that his hands were tied by the English NWT options). The GB respected and trusted him enough to leave him the time for his work. That's why the French NWT was published much later than others, in 1974.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

According to JW Bethel Law: "It does not matter how talented you are, but how spiritual you are"!

In other words, arse kissers and conformists go up the corporate ladder...... not talent!

• lawrence
    lawrence

M. James Penton quotes Ray's words from COC and adds a bit beginning on page 174 of 'Apocalypse Delayed.' It has to be remembered that these guys, especially Freddy used established texts - Biblia Hebraica for OT and Hort & Westcott for NT. Of interest, I went into the 1985 Interlinear and investigated the textual changes from the 1969 version, especially since they now note the use of Nestle text and the UBS text. Big Deal! Liars! These additions were only to reinforce the notes relating to 1 Jn 5:7.8. So for all of you out there, there are NO differences in the text of the 1969 and 1985 Interlinear, aside from differences in the English translation in the right hand area of the page. What a bunch of bullshit artists - Scholarship my ass!

• VM44
    VM44

The revealing of the WT Bible scholars as Fred Franz, Nathan Knorr and others is somewhat dated. Most are dead now.

Who are the current WT Biblical scholars?

Is there a current Bible Translation committee? Who is on it?

Or is the current edition of the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures now an unchanging, fixedf inished work. Etched in stone for all time?

--VM44

• kwintestal
    kwintestal
    Or is the current edition of the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures now an unchanging, fixedf inished work. Etched in stone for all time?

No it's not. There will be changes. However, any changes will be considered a matter of conscience.

Kwin

• scholar
    scholar

homme perdu

The identity of the NWT is unknown and further, unknowable. There has been considerable speculation by insiders and outsiders as to their identity but nobody has provided any evidence, oral and written to confirm the speculation. Hence,it is the greatest of all mysteries and will remain so forever. What a powerful testimony to the most accurate, brilliant translation ever produced making our Heavenly Father rejoice.

scholar

BA MA Studies in Religion

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit