The damn Egyptians liked way older women

by gumby 67 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mulan
    Mulan

I suspect Sarah wasn't really that old, if the story is true, that is. I tend to think the Bible is full of allegories and fables.

I read an article in Reader's Digest about two years ago, that had some excellent information on numbers and years in the Bible and how they are unreliable. One example was how many Israelites came out of Egypt...............impossible number considering the population of the earth at that time.............it would have been a very significant percentage of the entire population of the world, so not likely that the number was correct.

Another example was the number of men who prepared to enter Jericho. If there were that many, (100,000?) there would have been no reason to fear.............they could have just overpowered that city quite easily, since scholars estimate its population as being about 25,000 then.

So age was considered the same way. Maybe the 70 meant something else.

• gumby
    gumby

Mulan,

The story of the egyptian release of the hebrews is more than bogus. For example:

"all the souls of the house of Jacob, which came into Egypt, were three score and ten." (Genesis 45 - 47)

A handful of Hebrews take up residence in Egypt, are first enslaved then set free. 70 persons arrive and multiply like horny ol' rabbits to reach 3 million in 215 years....that's an average of 66 children per female! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

430 years is often quoted, but in the original version of the story , in the Septuagint and by Josephus, half of that time was spent in Canaan.

Gumby

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Maybe they couldn't COUNT.

Nina

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

If half of the original 70 were female (only 20% of whom being of childbearing age) and they gave birth to a child every other year (age 20-40), half of whom were girls, they could conceivably have had a population of 3 Billion (assuming 0% infant mortality and all making it to old age, which is totally unrealistic).

• gumby
    gumby

Quit lookin on the bright side dammit LT......I'm tryin to paganize people here and you keep throwin monkey wrenches in my efforts!

*turns away and kicks the dirt cussin and stuff*

Gumby

• franklin J
    franklin J

maybe Sara was very rich.....

• gumby
    gumby
    maybe Sara was very rich.....

There are no rich women in the bible......no alimony, no child support, no nothin for the ladies. Just ask Hagar and Ishmael. Gumby

• Preston
    Preston

Gumby...you have no authority to decide what constitutes beauty with reference to a woman, no matter how old she is.

Just look at you...

We seem to be ok with you, no crticism regarding the supposedly cancerous bump on the head or odd shaped feet .....

• gumby
    gumby

Oh gee thanks Preston! You take a picture of me just after I woke up and expect me to look decent! Sheesh!

Gumby

• shotgun
    shotgun

Ya know Gumby I went to an Egyptian exhibit this summer where they had tons of artifacts and the Egyptians always depicted beautiful young woman and they even made their old mummies wear bandages.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit