Sunday's WT study at the local KH

by Mulan 44 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Princess
    Princess
    She is an elderly sister that has known me since I was 5 years old. What does that say?

Self righteous b*tch whose husband was never a dub. Steve had a dream the other night that he was walking down the street and she was sitting in her car, drinking (he he, Steve always smelled alcohol on her breath at meetings). She tried to shun him but he laughed and waved and said hi to her.

It says they are still thinking about us...well you anyway...after all these years. How much thought do you give them? Must have been an enormous threat to their belief system when the whole lot of us up and dumped the religion. Can't get much better than that. Steve and I are highly visible in our vehicles and I know dubs spot us regularly. I rarely see them, think about them less than that and never care.

• heathen
    heathen

LMAO@amac---- They would probly only rebut you with the typical speal on how jehovah will destroy such foolish ones in his day of wrath .

I think the scripture discussed about an angel saying something contrary to what the apostles had to say was a little bit more profound in it's day considering the fact that all people had to go on was the word of the apostles , they were also reliant on the holy spirit as a source of inspiration . The witnesses can't even make up their mind if they are spirit directed to begin with .

• willyloman
    willyloman
    Anybody notice they didn't supply a proof text for that one?

Actually, there is one, but I'm not near a bible so I can't pinpoint it. I think Paul said this first, but in a different context. Still, to any reasonable person, the statement you quoted (and I heard it too, at the last district convention I attended) is just downright scary.

• blondie
    blondie

Galatians 1:7-9 (NWT)
    But it is not another; only there are certain ones who are causing YOU trouble and wanting to pervert the good news about the Christ. 8 However, even if we or an angel out of heaven were to declare to YOU as good news something beyond what we declared to YOU as good news, let him be accursed. 9 As we have said above, I also now say again, Whoever it is that is declaring to YOU as good news something beyond what YOU accepted, let him be accursed.

Actually, willyloman, I would use this scripture whenever an elder would push his personal opinion without scriptural support (WTS publications did not count.)

In fact, I always pointed to this statement in the WT:

w88 4/1 p. 30 Is Obedience Always Proper? ***
    What about the authority in the Christian congregation? Since those in responsible positions are appointed by the operation of the holy spirit and they base their counsel and admonition on the Word of God, we can be sure that obeying duly appointed authority in the Christian congregation is appropriate. (Acts 20:28; Hebrews 13:17) But it does not mean that we obey such authority without giving due consideration to what is being said. Why?
    The apostle John offered this counsel: "Do not believe every inspired expression, but test the inspired expressions to see whether they originate with God." (1 John 4:1) This does not mean that we should be suspicious of everything others tell us. Rather, we bear in mind Paul?s words at Galatians 1:8: "Even if we or an angel out of heaven were to declare to you as good news something beyond what we declared to you as good news, let him be accursed."

So I would always say that the Bible is the final authority. And if I wouldn't listen to an angel if what he said disagreed with the Bible, I shouldn't listen to an imperfect man if what he said was not in agreement with the scriptures.

But of course, the WTS back pedals and says earlier:

w59 9/1 p. 530 Walking in the Name of Jehovah ***
    The voice of Jehovah speaks to us today through his organization, giving us correction and instruction in righteousness and in active ministerial service.

I thought God spoke to us through the Bible!

g82 2/8 p. 6 A Closer Look ***

However, the apostle Paul said: "Even if we or an angel out of heaven were to declare to you as good news something beyond ["at variance with" (NE)] what we declared to you as good news, let him be accursed." (Galatians 1:8) Now, if an apostle or an angel should not go beyond the good news recorded in the Bible, is a charismatic personality today authorized to do so?
    Blondie
  • heathen
    heathen

Good point blondie . To the WTBTS , God only had the slave class in mind when the scriptures were written . I do think they need to clarify whether or not they consider themselves spirit directed . On one hand they try to convince readers that they are by using the language you just posted while on the other they claim not to be inspired by holy spirit . It's clear in the bible that the saints were anointed with holy spirit and were inspired to share in the ministry and did have gifts of the spirit as described by the apostles . There were no doubt imposter massiahs in the first century that's why the apostle Paul felt the need to make sure that the good news was associated with jesus christ and not the imposters . Even jesus said , you will hear the words here is the christ or there is the christ but they must not be mislead.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit