Regarding the quote from Teddy, it is relevant, since our objectives are right for the US and the World.
Our? Is that like 'them' or 'they'? What do you mean 'our'. Define the grouping of people you mean by 'our'. How large a group of people do you mean by 'our'? Is it the 20% of Americans who control 40% of the countries wealth? If not, who? We ain't talking about welfare mothers, are we?
Explain how, if this group you define as 'our' is a minority in the USA or the world, how they can make a claim (as you do that) their objectives are 'right for the US and the World'?
If you suggest that a minority is right and should be heeded against the will of the majority, then I think you are telling us all we need to know about your love of democracy.
And did you include the following in your list of objectives that are 'right for the US and the World'?
- The USA and UK supported a coup in Iran in 1953 where the democratically elected Mossadeq was replaced by the Shah. Mossadeq wanted to reduce the profits of Western oil companies from 88% to 25%, so Iran could beenfit more from it's own wealth in resources.
- Decades of support for an undemocratic royal dictatorship in Jordan.
- Decades of support for an undemocratic royal dictatorship in Saudi Arabia.
- Backing Suharto from 1965 despite him killing hundred of thousands of Indonesians, supporting the 1975 invasion of East Timor by Indonesia (you've tried in the past to blame this on Islamic expansionism!) and continued support of Suharto despite years of human rights violations.
- With the UK and France, vetoing two UN sanctions on military and nuclear collaberation arms embargoes to the apartheid reigeme in South Africa, and another calling for the assitance of the oppressed people of South Africa.
- Backing Saddam Hussain, including supplying;
- Bacillus anthracis, the cause of the often fatal disease, anthrax.
- Clostridium botulinum, a toxin source.
- Histoplasma capsulatum, a disease that attacks lungs, brain, heart and spinal chord.
- Brucella melitensis, a bacteria that damages major organs.
- Clostridium perfringens, a highly toxic bacteria causing illness.
- Clostridium tetani, a bacteria causing tetanus
- Support for Pol Pot.
- Destabilisation of Nicargua; support for human-rights violating governments for 46 years, then imposing a trade embargo after a fair democratic election, then the whole disgusting insurgency run out of the US Embassy in Honduras, during which the Contras were encouraged to attack 'soft targets' rather than the army. The extent of its undercover actions undermining the democratic government, and the human rights violations were so sever the World Court find the USA guilty and fine them $17,000 million, which the USA refused to pay, and then vetoed an UN resolution calling on all governments to obey International law. That would cramp the US's styl;e a bit... In the ten years of US supported insurgency Nicaragua went from having the best social system in Central America to being a country with widespread illiteracy and malnuttition.
... 'right for the US and the World'? Don't make me laugh...
Right for the commercial interests of the USA maybe, but right for the world? Right for its own people, even?
The US have consistantly acted
- aginst International law,
- the USA's own founding principles,
- and sometimes (Iran-Contra) against the will of the elected representatives of the USA itself.
In addition they have vetoed UN resolutions like a 'prohibition of new types of weapons of mass destruction' and a 'prohibition of chemical and bacteriological weapons' (both in 1984).
And only the richest Americans benefit from the USA's 'rape the world' foreign policy
But it seems you support the US acting like a rouge state, violating International law at a whim, suppressing democracy, supporting the violation of human rights, all to better profit commercially, or to ensure its hegemony continues.
Do you feel 'the ends justify the means'? If not how do you justify the means?
I thought the 'Divine Mandate' was an out-moded excuse for ethnic cleansing? Are you claiming that god has given Bush a special mission, or America a special place in the world?
Unfortunately Thi Chi you ignore the despicable record of the past and assume that the powers-that be in the States platitudes and justifications are valid. They are no more valid than those in the past which you have swallowed hook line and sinker.
By it's actions the USA ensures (at this time) it will not be trusted as a world policeman. It's record is too inconsistant and it has violated human rights or supported the violation of human rights too often to have any credibility. It hyping the WomD claims to generate support for a rush invasion is just another example of its lack of credibility.
America has done good things, and has greater potential to do good than any other country. But as long as it goes against world opinion, and is self-interesetd, and ignores International law, it moves from being world policeman to world bully.
It will justify its actions on the basis of it being nice to those that let it get on with it, whilst if there's opposition to its aims it will strike out.
People will support the police if they are fair, just and honest, be they a beat cop or a world power. People will not support hypocritical self-serving bullies.
You seemingly can.
But I don't really expect you to have a 'road to Damscus' moment...