Cost of War

by teejay 135 Replies latest social current

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    they could have built EVERY family in Viet Nam a $20,000 home-a substantial home in those days.

Struth, mate, that would buy a very neat home in Nam these days too!

• teejay
    teejay
    The huge increases in U.S. military spending that have occurred since Sept. 11, 2001, were planned before President George W. Bush was elected by the same men who are pushing the administration?s ?war on terrorism? and the invasion and occupation of Iraq.

A Washington-based organization known as the Project for the New American Century (PNAC) drafted the war plan for U.S. global domination through military power.

One of the organization?s documents shows that Bush and his most senior cabinet members had already planned an attack on Iraq before he took power in January 2001.

Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld, Jeb Bush, and Paul Wolfowitz signed a Statement of Principles of the PNAC on June 3, 1997, along with many of the other current members of Bush?s ?war cabinet.?

The group?s essential demand was for hefty increases in defense spending. ?We need to increase defense spending significantly if we are to carry out our global responsibilities today and modernize our armed forces for the future,? the statement?s first principle reads.

A subsequent PNAC plan entitled ?Rebuilding America?s Defenses: Strategies, Forces and Resources for a New Century,? reveals that the current members of Bush?s cabinet had already planned, before the 2000 presidential election, to take military control of the Gulf region whether Saddam Hussein is in power or not.

The 90-page PNAC document from September 2000 says: ?The United States has for decades sought to play a more permanent role in Gulf regional security. While the unresolved conflict with Iraq provides the immediate justification, the need for a substantial American force presence in the Gulf transcends the issue of the regime of Saddam Hussein.?

?Even should Saddam pass from the scene,? the plan says U.S. military bases in Saudi Arabia and Kuwait will remain, despite domestic opposition in the Gulf states to the permanent stationing of U.S. troops. Iran, it says, ?may well prove as large a threat to U.S. interests as Iraq has.?

The strategic ?transformation? of the U.S. military into an imperialistic force of global domination would require a huge increase in defense spending to ?a minimum level of 3.5 to 3.8 percent of gross domestic product, adding $15 billion to $20 billion to total defense spending annually,? the PNAC plan said.

?The process of transformation,? the plan said, ?is likely to be a long one, absent some catastrophic and catalyzing event?like a new Pearl Harbor.?

?They needed more money to up the defense budget for raises, new arms, and future capabilities,? Maletz said. ?Without some disaster or catastrophic event? neither the politicians nor the military would have approved, Maletz said.

The ?new Pearl Harbor,? in the form of the terror attacks of Sept. 11, provided the necessary catalyst to put the global war plan into effect. Congress quickly allocated $40 billion to fund the ?war on terrorism? shortly after 9-11. ? Source

Whispers of a deadly conspiracy.

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

... ... A MUST READ !!!

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

You can pay or send somebody to murder someone ... It is not because you didn't do it yourself that you are not moraly responsible. For one of them the REASON is TO MURDER for the other on the REASON is FOR MONNEY or any KIND OF REWARD.

Sorry I could not resist ... it is the MOMENT and THE PLACE

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

It's been all said before, and said rather well;

Masters of War

by Bob Dylan

Come you masters of war
    You that build all the guns
    You that build the death planes
    You that build the big bombs
    You that hide behind walls
    You that hide behind desks
    I just want you to know
    I can see through your masks

You that never done nothin'
    But build to destroy
    You play with my world
    Like it's your little toy
    You put a gun in my hand
    And you hide from my eyes
    And you turn and run farther
    When the fast bullets fly

Like Judas of old
    You lie and deceive
    A world war can be won
    You want me to believe
    But I see through your eyes
    And I see through your brain
    Like I see through the water
    That runs down my drain

You fasten the triggers
    For the others to fire
    Then you set back and watch
    When the death count gets higher
    You hide in your mansion
    As young people's blood
    Flows out of their bodies
    And is buried in the mud

You've thrown the worst fear
    That can ever be hurled
    Fear to bring children
    Into the world
    For threatening my baby
    Unborn and unnamed
    You ain't worth the blood
    That runs in your veins

How much do I know
    To talk out of turn
    You might say that I'm young
    You might say I'm unlearned
    But there's one thing I know
    Though I'm younger than you
    Even Jesus would never
    Forgive what you do

Let me ask you one question
    Is your money that good
    Will it buy you forgiveness
    Do you think that it could
    I think you will find
    When your death takes its toll
    All the money you made
    Will never buy back your soul

And I hope that you die
    And your death'll come soon
    I will follow your casket
    In the pale afternoon
    And I'll watch while you're lowered
    Down to your deathbed
    And I'll stand o'er your grave
    'Til I'm sure that you're dead

I especially like Eddie Vedder's version sang at Bobfest...

Of course, the Republican male-voice choir (with occasional female soloists) will tell us it is just a coincidence that what's happening in in-line with a document signed way back then.

• lawrence
    lawrence

Some of my same thoughts...

Natural Born Killers, without any balls

Natural Born Killers, without any balls,

Rejoice in starched suits, as the peasants fall.

Shoot their big guns, from very far away,

More Natural Born Killers arise each day.

They howl when the two ton bombs are dropped,

Have feelings of sorrow, when the bombing stops.

Scream with glee when the napalm is dispersed,

And believe all non-Americans deserve their curse.

Shout out loud, ?God is on our side, that?s true!?

?God only defends the red, white, and blue!?

Throughout the world they perpetrate their greed,

Rape a few here and there, to perpetuate their seed.

Natural Born Killers, men without any balls,

Shall exist until the Wild Beast falls.

Natural Born Killers, women without any balls,

Shall exist until the Wild Beast falls.

• TMS
    TMS

Abaddon,

"I especially like Eddie Vedder's version sang at Bobfest..."

Yes. One of my favorite music video tapes, what Neil Young referred to as "Bobfest," actually a concert commemorating Dylan's 30 years with Columbia records. Vedder's version is haunting. I believe he crosses himself at the finish. Dylan himself did the song in a concert at the Air Force Academy years earlier.

tms

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

BTT ... ...

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Funny how all the Republican pro-war people melt away like snow in sunlight when they have to explain how it could be possibly be 'worth' it to spend the money in the way it is being sent. Cognotive dissonance is a great thing.

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Yeah really, I would like to know what they are thinking about THAT ...

Questions like : Can you agree ? Because of what ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit