Cost of War

by teejay 135 Replies latest social current

• teejay
  • TMS
    TMS

deja vu

Toward the end of the Vietnam War, I recall reading that for what the U.S. had spent in that war, they could have built EVERY family in Viet Nam a $20,000 home-a substantial home in those days.

tms

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Sad..

..with the money spent on this war, the U.S. could've instead ensured that every child in the world was given basic immunizations for 46 years.

• Simon
    Simon

Yeah, you have to question how effective the war has been in any fight against terrorism - it has simply increased it. I guess it keeps their friends the arms dealers in good business though eh?

If they really want to 'drain the swamp' then a bit of humanity and help would have gone a lot further.

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

... ... (but not LOL)

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz
    a bit of humanity and help would have gone a lot further.

Hindsight is 20/20..

• teejay
    teejay
    "Why of course the people don't want war... That is understood. But, after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country." -- Hermann Goering (Nazi officer, during his Nuremberg war crimes trial)
  • kwintestal
    kwintestal

Makes me glad I live in Canada. Our PM is so cheap when it comes to military, he buys Victorian class subs from the brits that leak and burn. Fires in a sub are never good as someone in our city learned last week.

Cost of war in Iraq to Canada....$0 (well very little anyway). Truth of the matter is that Canada did provide some support to US troops in the form of one ship in the Gulf that acted as a communications ship, as well as about 30 soldiers in various tasks working with American soldiers. I think it was like a foreign exchange program of sorts.

Kwin

• Scully
    Scully

$140 Billion and counting! Thanks for sharing that, teejay.

Your other post above got me thinking too....

"Why of course the people don't want war... That is understood. But, after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country." -- Hermann Goering (Nazi officer, during his Nuremberg war crimes trial)

I'm sure the Governing Body of the WTS realizes this frailty of human nature as well... the words can be so easily tweaked that it's eerie:

"Why of course the people don't want to shun... That is understood. But, after all, it is the Governing Body who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a theocracy, or a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked by Satan and his demons, and denounce the opposers and apostates for lack of faith and exposing the congregation to danger. It works the same everywhere."

Sorry for straying off topic, but that just kind of jumped out at me as I read your quote.

Love, Scully

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Teejay,

Wow ... Interesting the way H.Georing have said it short and clear !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit