Distractions at the Convention

by Nosferatu 48 Replies latest jw friends

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

Insomniac: I was there in 85 and 88 for the international assemblies..... where were you, when I was looking for fems?

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

Cheech- in '85, I was jailbait. By '88, I was engaged to one of the Texas boys. Where were you when I was a single adult?!?

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

Dans Rue Sherbrooke

I stayed at the Rousellon in some island kind of town

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

Lets see 86 or 87 I was probably in belmont park, ny convention

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Insomniac:

Which Texas boy were you engaged to? Would I know him? Please don't tell me that one of those sexalicious Texas boys was my relative or I'll faint over dead....

Rural Territory Girl

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    Naps

Yeah, I think I slept through 99% of the conventions in my last two or three years in the bOrg. It was like a pavlovian reflex... the instant the opening song and prayer were over I would go out like a light.

• jgnat
    jgnat

This reminds me:

....."watched the brothers who got to run around doing their "important" jobs*.....they wish....lol

The fellas in charge of setting up and taking down the baptism pool. They have such a look of self-importance around them. Talking amongst themselves for the precise timing and placement of the ladder, checking the pumps, testing the water. ...and then the all-important taking-down exercise. All done in rolled-up suit-pant and tie.

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

Ahhh, memories.....and nice to know what everyone else was doing/thinking. Yer a naughty bunch, fer sher. No wonder you all ended up here And that's a good thing as far as I can see.

Favorite distractions...

*Playing with Gumby...when I was little my mom was pretty understanding about short attention spans and I got to bring my Gumby with me, notebook & pencil (so pencil sharpening was a favorite activity), blanket & pillow (Bedouin tent), thermos of something to drink, tic tacs.

*People watching as a teen, while massaging my cramped fingers during brief breaks from my frenzied note-taking...this included self-righteously frowning at those my age who got to sit up at the very top of the bleachers w/o parents, whispering and giggling and looking around with their binoculars.

*Sometimes I was helping in the kitchen during parts of the sessions, my hair and face damp with steam. The dining room was a fun place to sit because the atmosphere was rather more relaxed and casual.

*Watching the sign language interpretor.

*Sitting up high and staring down the steps until I got dizzy and felt like I was going to fall, just to get a small rush of adrenaline.

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

Country Girl, the Texas boy in question had the most beautiful blue eyes, and his initials tattooed on his hand. To this day, I wish him all the love and happiness in the world, as he deserves it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit