What's with 16 year old girls and male singers?

by gumby 42 Replies latest social entertainment

• gumby
    gumby

Being the old bastard that I am, I like the oldies as far as music goes. Yesterday, I was working and singing out loud like I do alot and I was singing "16 candles." As I was singing it, I remembered something I've thought about before...........why are many songs from the oldies about 16 year old girls? In todays world....if a guy sings about a 16 year old.....he's a perv.

Her's a few,

16 candles, Happy Birthday Sweet Sixteen, She was only 16, (Dr.Hook), Your Sixteen, If I Could Fly.

There are a few others I can't think of right now .....but man! Does it seem odd to anyone else a dude would write a song about a sixteen year old AND it becomes a hit record? Times are changing eh?

Gumby

• under74
    under74

there was a song back in the late 80s or early 90s called Seventeen by some hair metal band and all I could think was that that was the audience they were going after...perverts and young girls.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Before I opened the thread I thought you were talking about it the other way around. Maybe that answers your question.

16yr old girls are possibly the biggest buyers of records. The various ages around that either aspire to be sixteen, else feel they are even more mature, and hence swoon all the more. Market forces will always win out...

Of course I could be speaking out of my ass, coz I had left home and married by the time my little sister was sixteen.

• gumby
    gumby
    Of course I could be speaking out of my ass

I'd say that's the more likely one.

Gumby

• Princess
    Princess

Now Gumby, what the hell are you doing thinking about 16 year old girls and male singers? Gumpervert.

Ross may be right, but then again, he said this:

Of course I could be speaking out of my ass

I'm going to be nice and leave that alone for now.

I think times have changed. I don't think a song about an underage girl could become a hit these days. People are very sensitive about things like that.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Gumby:Actually 16 isn't underage, over here. They cant drink or vote, until 18, and cant drive until 17, but can ride a bike and do pretty much everything else.

Still, it's kinda young, especially for old farts like us

• gumby
    gumby
    Now Gumby, what the hell are you doing thinking about 16 year old girls and male singers?

Who said I was thinkin bout them? I mostly think about physical trainers wearin skimpy black swimmin trunks

Gumby

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    there was a song back in the late 80s or early 90s called Seventeen by some hair metal band

That was by Winger, one of the numerous hair metal bands that fell to the Grunge sword in the early 90's LOL

here's a sampling of the lyrics from that song:

...And just when I thought she was comin' to my door
    She whispered sweet and brought me to the floor, she said
    I'm only seventeen, but I'll show you love like you've never seen
    She's only seventeen, daddy says she's too young, but she's old enough for me...
    Such a bad girl, loves to work me overtime
    Feels good (ha), dancin' close to the borderline
    She's a magic mountain, she's a leather glove...
    ...She's only seventeen, still she gives me love, like I've never seen
    She's only seventeen, daddy says she's too young, but she's old enough for me

Uh, yeah, that wouldn't make it in today's radio market LOL. And what a shameless ploy to attract underage groupies, it must be embarrassing for a lot of those forgotten hair bands when they hear their old songs.
  • StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz
    Actually 16 isn't underage, over here.

It's not here either.

Besides, how old are the guys singing these songs?

• Princess
    Princess
    but can ride a bike and do pretty much everything else.

Oh really? Well, they certainly are capable of doing everything else at 16, but if the guy is over 18....another story.

especially for old farts like us

so you admit it then?

I mostly think about physical trainers wearin skimpy black swimmin trunks

Oh my, you are a gumperv aren't you?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit