Store manager fired for foiling robbery

by Big Tex 38 Replies latest social current

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

This really chaps me. Just unbelievable. So he's supposed to take a bullet for Long John Silver?

Long John's story leaves a bad taste

08:42 PM CDT on Monday, October 4, 2004

By STEVE BLOW / The Dallas Morning News

I'm a rules-following kind of guy.

That's boring, I know. We're a society that celebrates rebels.

But me, if I've got 11 items at the grocery story, there's no way I'm getting in that 10-item checkout line.

If I'm in a no-passing zone, I don't pass. If a coupon says it's good for one item only, I don't try to get two.

You get the picture.

It drives my family crazy. No one loves a stickler.

I say all this to preface my remarks about the management of Long John Silver's Seafood Shoppes:

They're nincompoops.

Complete and total, blinded-by-corporate-policy nincompoops.

If you saw the story in Monday's paper, you understand my ire. If you didn't, let me hurry to light your ire.

Back on Sept. 18, two robbers entered a Long John Silver's in Richardson, ordered employees to the floor and grabbed a bag of money.

Then one of the robbers ordered the restaurant supervisor to go to the back of the store. The robber followed. His hand was tucked under his shirt, holding what certainly appeared to be a gun.

The supervisor said he could only come to one conclusion: "He's going to kill me."

And he feared that the three teen employees on the floor would also be killed.

About that time, a hammer came within reach.

The supervisor grabbed it, whirled around and walloped the robber. The bandit fell, dropped the moneybag and then fled, along with his cohort.

Hooray, you might say. A robbery foiled! Everyone safe!

It would be natural to proclaim the supervisor a hero. But Long John Silver's had another word for him: "Fired."

The 46-year-old father of six was called in by his boss a few days after the incident. He was told that he was being terminated for violating the company policy of cooperating with robbers.

And by the way, I'm not using the supervisor's name because the robbers are at large. He's still afraid they might want to kill him.

The former supervisor had worked for Long John Silver's for 10 years.

In firing him, the boss also mentioned that he had violated store policy by having too much cash in the registers.

But resisting the robbery was clearly the unpardonable sin.

As I said, I'm a rules follower. I respect the collective wisdom they represent. I like that they help us live with order, not chaos.

But there have to be exceptions to every rule. And when a man has the feeling he is being marched to his death, that's a good time to declare an exception.

At that point, all rules are off.

Of course, that's just me. Corporate managers of a major fast-food franchise might disagree. But they would be nincompoops.

I checked with Richardson police to see whether new information had come to light since our story ran on Monday. I wondered if anyone had offered other reasons the supervisor was fired.

But no, only calls of support for the man had come in. Many, many calls. "A hornet's nest" is how one officer characterized things.

It was the same story with all the calls and e-mails that came to the newspaper Monday.

I put in a call to Long John Silver's public relations office. Maybe they had gotten some calls, too.

A spokesman issued this statement late Monday:

"First and foremost, we are grateful no one was injured during the robbery of our restaurant. In a random act of violence like this, our top priority is the safety of our employees and our customers. We are carefully reviewing the circumstances of this difficult situation and will do the right thing for everyone involved."

The right thing for everyone involved?

Let's hope. It really doesn't seem so difficult.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Yup. Niccumpoops. Apparently one of the suspected robbers turned himself in, and even his grandmother agrees with what the restaurant manager did.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/printstory.mpl/metropolitan/2833760

I'll bet a web organized boycott / bad publicity of Long John Silvers will change their minds.....

• Scully
    Scully

I'd like to see Long John Silvers' policy for supporting and assisting the families of employees who are murdered on the job for following their corporate policy of cooperating in the event of a robbery.

My hunch is that there isn't one... and if that's the case, then to hell with the frikkin corporate policy. It isn't the policy writers - in their cushy corporate policied offices - who are putting their lives on the line, is it?

Love, Scully

• Mecurious?
    Mecurious?

The 46-year-old father of six was called in by his boss a few days after the incident. He was told that he was being terminated for violating the company policy of cooperating with robbers

Strange case indeed. I would think that the opposite was true. I don't see how he was cooperating when he fought them off. They were probably just looking for a reason to let him go.

Bigtex, this story reminds me of another situation that happened here in texas in Grandprarie I think.

A couple of people tried to run off without paying for their meal and the waitress ran after them. Well sadly they ran over her with their car and she died. I never could understand why someone would risk life and limb over something as little as money or food. I guess it just all boils down to priorities.

M'

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I remember that case M. Very sad. And worse, it was a couple of drunks teens who ran her over. They ruined their life (I think they were sentenced to 20 years in prison) and ended hers, all over a $100 tab at Bennigan's.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

I can understand why the company has the policy. While in this case things ended well, one can easily visualize a more tragic scenario ensuing from the manager's actions.

But firing the guy is just beyond ridiculous.

• Brummie
    Brummie

It reminds me of what my dad used to say...

"Well how fcking stupid is that?"

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956
    I don't see how he was cooperating when he fought them off.

No, their corporate policy is TO cooperate with the robbers. He did NOT cooperate so thats why they fired him. Just clarifying since that seems to have been a question.

Bunch of corporate dumbasses!

Sherry

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

And that, my friends is why everyone who is legaly able to do so should carry a firearm... Something small, easily concealed like the Para-arms .45 ten shot warthog or the Taurus Millenium pro. Both very small very powerful. Don't attempt to pull it out and confront them though don't even act like your armed say yes sir mister robber and no sir mister robber and hey do you see that money on the safe and when he turns to get it you simply place the barrel of said gun to the back of his head and blow him straight back to Jehovah!

Then when your boss walks in and says "well company policy..." you merely remind him that you still have 9 shots left in the clip...

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

if they get robbed. insurance covers their loss..

if an employee gets killed.. insurance covers the companies loss..and if an employee is killed, he/she is easily replaced by someone else who needs a job. (its the USA theres plenty of people to fill his shoes)

a representitive of LJS injured an person in an area unauthorized for non employees..if the injured guy sues for being injured on their property THAT may not be covered by insurance since signs are usually posted " employees only'

its all about money.

now if you wana talk rights and wrongs.. LJS needs to be fried in their oil vats for being jerks and firing this fella who was frightened not only for his life but the lives of others under his watch.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit