Good god, let the child die !

by Simon 33 Replies latest social current

• jgnat
    jgnat

Friends of mine gave birth to a baby with Trisomy 13. Most babies with this condition never leave the hospital. Nearly all die within the first year. My friends dealt with their grief (grandmother, mother, father, and teenage daughter) by determining to give their baby girl the most lovely life they could. The mother pumped her breast milk the whole time her little girl lived. In a candid moment, she confessed she felt like a Jersey on an assembly line; pump, pump, pump. Though the hospital doubted their girl would ever be able to go home, she did, for a few short months. The entire family rallied around this little girl in shifts through the night. The doctors and nurses were compassionate and helpful right through her passing, the final nurse letting them listen to her progressively weaker gasps for breath. The doctor had the death certificate pre-completed so there would be no police investigation (usually required every time there is a death at home).

Though this baby would never grow up to go to school, go on a prom date, or go to college, she gave something to her family. She gave them courage. She gave them stamina. What they poured out for their little girl was the most lovely testament to love and reverence for life I have ever witnessed.

In our modern society, we are unused to facing death, especially with ones so young. With our modern technology, shouldn't all conditions be curable? They are not. Not every baby will be curable, or normal. Not every baby will grow to be a productive member of society. During their short lives, perhaps they give us something else. They teach us to be better human beings.

• Gadget
    Gadget

I read a news article yesterday that said this baby had died on Thursday.

Rest In Peace.

• jgnat
  • seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

squinks -

plight of children who cannot give or receive love and are incapable of forming friendships. That is true suffering.

That is so very sad. Can you tell us a little more about some of these children? Thanks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit