Good god, let the child die !

by Simon 33 Replies latest social current

• Simon
    Simon

A big story in the UK right now.

From the descriptions of the childs condition on the radio, where it was said she was in constant pain, I think it would be right to allow her to die. She has zero chance of any kind of quality of life and prolonging this suffering is just inhuman.

If scientists were doing this to an animal, there would be complaints that it was cruel.

A sad story indeed, but sometimes the kindest thing is to let go ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3701492.stm

• glitter
    glitter

He added they would like to look forward to taking their daughter out "so that she can have the feel of fresh air on her skin".

Then she should be allowed to die outside. :(

It's just so heartbreaking - I want to say it's her parents' choice, but what is best for her is more important, her suffering will just be strung out even further if she her "life" is saved again: I think there are fates worse than death. :( :(

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Man, my heart goes out to the child...Damn, life can be such a bitch...I would let the child pass too.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

Parental call, man, just like medically necessary abortions... nobody else can make the choice for them. They will have to live with it, for good or ill, so let them make the call.

I agree it sounds like death might be the best option... but I'm not the parent. I think it owuld make me literally crazy (er) to have to go through that. Horrible, just horrible.

CZAR

• minimus
    minimus

Who pays for this? The parents? If they have the means to support the child, it's up to them.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

I think, that it being Britain, the taxpayers are footing the bill. Which brings up the uglier side of socialized medicine... how generous ARE the taxpayers, really?

Of course, if this was the US, I guess sheer economics would have made the horrible choice already, so it's not like we are any great shakes in that department. Terrible all around, I pray for the families.

CZAR

• Simon
    Simon

I don't think the parents should have total overriding say in what happens to the child. They have a big say, but not the final say.

Ultimately, someone should say that if they don't want treatment to be withheld that they have to pay for it.

I think the parents are in denial and not thinking about what is best for the child but instead what is best for them.

I think, that it being Britain, the taxpayers are footing the bill. Which brings up the uglier side of socialized medicine... how generous ARE the taxpayers, really?

Of course, if this was the US, I guess sheer economics would have made the horrible choice already, so it's not like we are any great shakes in that department. Terrible all around, I pray for the families.

It isn't an issue. We have a national heath system which is a safety net for anyone, no matter what their income. Surely it is the job of a wealthy western nation to care for the least fortunate in it's society? To not do so would be uncivilised.

The UK goes too far though because it's an ideology. They actively work to prevent people being able to instead pay for their own private medical care.

• Brummie
    Brummie
    1..Ultimately, someone should say that if they don't want treatment to be withheld that they have to pay for it.
    2...I think the parents are in denial and not thinking about what is best for the child but instead what is best for them

1, so only the rich should be allowed to let their children live? If you cant afford for you're child to live then let it die?

2, these parents must be totally traumatised, whatever they are thinking they should be spared the insults, they have probably been raised with the sentiments "where there is life there is hope", its hard to let go of this when you are in their predicament.

We should be wishing them and their baby all the best, the doctors have wanted to kill off a lot of babies that have gone on to live a full life, why should they trust the doctors on this?

Brummie

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

My understanding is that doctors will only continue with life support if there is hope of a return to "normal life". Where there is not, then life support is switched off.

If that's the case, it's pretty difficult for anyone else to say otherwise IMO.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Go in peace little one. All my hopes and all my prayers

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit