Good god, let the child die !

by Simon 33 Replies latest social current

• Brummie
    Brummie
    My understanding is that doctors will only continue with life support if there is hope of a return to "normal life". Where there is not, then life support is switched off.

If that's the case, it's pretty difficult for anyone else to say otherwise IMO

No that isnt the case, last week UK was discussing whether to let real (less than 24 wks) premature babies live, one doctor was arguing that "it costs too much", these sort of people have no respect for human life, the dow jones is more sacred.

Doctors can not decide what is "normal" life, I work with learning difficulties and Autism, they view "normal" life differently to what we do.

and as for those inflicted with what we do not recognise as "normal life", they keep a lot of us in work and are as essential to our ecomony as we are. Cases similar the child mentioned above are keeping nurses, carers and doctors in a job. The babies that may return to "normal life" but whom they want to kill are actually paying their mortgage.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Brummie, while I have relatives which are disabled and agree with some of what you say, I don't think keeping others employed is a good "world view".

The view of the world that says you always need the rich and the poor, ultimately desolves into the fact that the poor will provide the entertainment for the rich in an ever increasing rich world.

You cannot say that the disabled will create jobs for the masses, it is a very poor argument.

• Brummie
    Brummie
    I don't think keeping others employed is a good "world view".

I agree 100% ballistic, in that context it is a very poor argument, darn I didnt want to say it like that because its not really expressing what I am trying to say. My statement came off the springboard of an argument I had yesterday with someone whose only concern was the money these people costs, it seems similar to what I am reading here and my point was that they give as much as they take. However I expressed it poorly and said something that appears cold, I was just trying to find a context, I'm not to clever at expressing this am I.

Thx, and I apologise if this has offended anyone.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Yes, I realise what you mean now. I see a storm brewing in the world now we have the technology to isolate certain disabilities in early life or after conception. The film "gattaca" comes to mind.

• Brummie
    Brummie

havent seen gattaca, will have to keep an eye out for it.

Yes there is a storm brewing, technology has made many mistakes, people who have been labled brain dead have come out of coma's etc

• minimus
    minimus

When there is no true hope for a person and they only can exist by unnatural means, I think a person should be able to die in dignity.

• Farkel
    Farkel

minimus reduces life and death matters over money:

: Who pays for this? The parents? If they have the means to support the child, it's up to them.

So the child should die if the parents have no money and if they have money, the child should be allowed to live? You are a dim bulb, minimus.

Farkel

• minimus
    minimus

I'm a compassionate conservative, farkel. I don't believe in keeping anyone alive by machines if they are braindead, either. Be glad I'm not your doctor.

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

This is a very sad case, and I feel very sorry for the child and her parents. The infant was delivered at 26 weeks - extremely prematurely - and until recently, her ongoing care would not be an issue because she would not have survived.

Panorama recently broadcast an investigation into the ongoing development of very premature babies. Some grow up to to be healthy and strong, some are severly disabled. Medical progress has brought us to ethical dilemmas that would never have been faced years ago. There does seem to be a mindset that the preservation of life wherever possible is of more importance than any issue of quality of life.

It must be bewildering for Charlotte's parents to have watched the medical profession use every possible technique to keep their baby alive for 11 months, now to be told to accept that Charlotte should not be revived again and again.

• Englishman
    Englishman
    I don't believe in keeping anyone alive by machines if they are braindead, either. Be glad I'm not your doctor.

Caught the sting in the tail there, Minimus.

Englishman.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit