What the &*%# (bleep) do we know?

by Navigator 46 Replies latest social entertainment

• Navigator
    Navigator

Has anyone else besides Megadude seen this flic? It is mostly about Quantum Physics and is truly awesome. It hasn't been advertised at all and is mostly playing the art houses. I recommend it to anyone.

• Mulan
    Mulan

One of our niece's told us about this movie a long time ago, and we told several people who have gone to see it. I keep looking for it, but it hasn't shown in our area.

I have heard it is really good.

• angelkins
    angelkins

I have seen it and loved it. Awesome. I think lots of folks here would relate to the spiritual aspect.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I am leery of some of the (pseudo)-"science" aspect of it (e.g. Ramtha expounding on quantum mechanics, the clustered water thing by thought alone, the "phycisists" being professors at Life University and similar institutions, etc.), and the execution of the movie was quite odd making it seem like a talking head documentary intercut with the story of the deaf girl, but the story itself was a little watchable and the special effects were great. But I didn't quite catch why she was so angry and self-loathing...was it because she was deaf, or something else? ??? And I needed a bathroom break in the last 10 minutes, so I didn't see if she got to meet the guy she left her apartment to meet? He said he needed to talk to her ... but the movie seemed to end with that expectation unresolved. What did I miss?

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    What the &*%# (bleep) do we know?

Sounds like a few PMs I've received lately.

• angelkins
    angelkins

Leolaia:

I am confused as to why you selected only one of the interviewees in the film to comment on and that was Joseph Despenza who received a chiropractic degree from Life University. (He had, however, received training from Rutgers University prior to that.)

The 11 or so others you did not mention are from rather prestigious institutions. Just trying to discredit the film?

Ramtha, not withstanding, it is a most thoughtful film.

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

Actually the part with the self loathing and such is probably where it's more practical, as I said in a previous thread about this movie it can help with learned helplessness. However, even though that is kind of addressed in a round about way in the movie, it isn't really addressed directly - and an explicit statement doesn't really snap people out of that state of consciousness.

To me the kind of consciousness that believes in the likes of Ramtha is actually not that different from that of the typical so-called skeptics. The title of the movie is actually rather telling if taken as a kind of Zen koan or Advaitic inquiry, which is to say to actually address the question of what we know rather than trying to answer the question within the limited context of mind. If we consider the mind as a tool, then it only makes sense to know the capacity and limits of that tool. If one was not aware of the nature of say, their construction tools, they may think they can grow trees and create lumbar. But if someone was to use that set of tools to make a tree the best they would be able to do is to create a tree-shaped piece of dead wood out of the lumbar they already have, and that of course is just plain silly. So I would say perhaps more to the point would be a question like "What the $%# does mind know?" or rather does mind actually know anything? It's a matter of knowing the function of mind, what it does - which may in fact not be 'knowing' at all. Now of course by mind I mean the usual process of reasoning about this and that, to see this point would imply something deeper, which we would distinguish from 'mind' as the word is used in this context.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

The movie was good to at least make one think about the fact that we really don't know reality. Other than that I got bored with it and fell asleep a couple of times.

• Mulan
    Mulan

We finally saw this movie last weekend, with Steve and Joy.

Fascinating. Surely makes you think.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

This movie is horrible. The "science" in it is sooooooo completely wrong.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit