If Jehovah's Witnesses Were To Have A Spin-Off Religion, What Would It Be?

by minimus 106 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Truth Seekers------Kingdom Preachers------Servants of Jah......"The Truth"

• Brummie
    Brummie

The Paradisians

The paradisian rebels (for those who reject the 144000 hevenlies)

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

RR,

Of course the Bible Students didn't like being called Millennial Dawners but considering how much emphasis was placed on promoting the book Millennial Dawn, is it any wonder? And should we be surprised when movements take on the name of their founders? Consider all these other groups: Lutherans (for Martin Luther), Calvinists (for John Calvin), Mennonites (for Menno Simmons), Hutterites (for Jacob Hutter), Campbellites or Disciples of Christ (for Thomas and Alexander Campbell), Amish (for Jacob Amman) and so on. None of these "founders" chose these appellations. So, I think it only follows that those who were associated with Russell would be called Russellites by outsiders.

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

How about, Church of the Great Pretenders.

• RR
    RR
    Of course the Bible Students didn't like being called Millennial Dawners but considering how much emphasis was placed on promoting the book Millennial Dawn, is it any wonder? And should we be surprised when movements take on the name of their founders? Consider all these other groups: Lutherans (for Martin Luther), Calvinists (for John Calvin), Mennonites (for Menno Simmons), Hutterites (for Jacob Hutter), Campbellites or Disciples of Christ (for Thomas and Alexander Campbell), Amish (for Jacob Amman) and so on. None of these "founders" chose these appellations. So, I think it only follows that those who were associated with Russell would be called Russellites by outsiders.

True, but you would not find any "Russellite" church advertised anywhere!

As for Russellites and Russellism, we know nothing of them and never shall. I have lived in this vicinity for nearly half a century, and have published and circulated millions of tracts and pamphlets without the name of Russell being mentioned in them in any manner whatever --a very different method from that pursued by those who seek their own name's fame. I seek not to add to the number of Christian sects, but on the contrary, I seek to present that one harmonious view of God's word upon which all true Christians might harmonize differences and unite in one Church as at the first--"The Church of the Living God"-- whose "names are written in heaven." - ZWT 03/01/93 p.67
  • Kenneson
    Kenneson

R.R.,

"As to Russellites and Russellism, we know nothing of them and never shall." What Russell is actually saying is that he disproves of the names that the Dispatch uses for his followers (he wouldn't like me calling them "his followers" either). It's understandable . The Calvinists did not accept their nickname either but used Presbyterian instead; the Campbellites called themselves Disciples of Christ. Other groups have experienced similar sentiments. While outsiders call the followers of George Fox Quakers they use Religious Society of Friends. Outsiders call the followers of Joseph Smith Mormons, but they refer to themselves as the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

The name of Russell may not have appeared in tracts and pamphlets, but I do find his name plastered in the pages of Zion's Watch Tower. Moreover, he is noted as the author of numerous books. While he may not have been seeking a name for himself, the reverse happened. Bible Students continue to revere Russell's name, with only Jehovah and Jesus surpassing it.

• RR
    RR
    The name of Russell may not have appeared in tracts and pamphlets, but I do find his name plastered in the pages of Zion's Watch Tower. Moreover, he is noted as the author of numerous books. While he may not have been seeking a name for himself, the reverse happened. Bible Students continue to revere Russell's name, with only Jehovah and Jesus surpassing it.

ACtually, if I'm not mistaken, his name only appeared after his death. His name did appear in the Watchtower as edtor ... but I won't argue the point. the point is mute!

RR

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

R.R.,

And in the numerous letters addressed to him (many coming to his defense when under attack) & published; mentions of his many speaking engagements all over the country; in the directives he issued to the Bible Classes--all found in the pages of Zion's Watch Tower helped to keep him in the limelight. There is indeed a mention of the name Russell found in 250 documents in Z.W.T.; albeit some may refer to Mrs. Russell and a few to Joseph L. Russell, but the majority are about none other than C.T. Russell. ZWT doesn't portray Russell as merely an editor.

• RR
    RR

And atthe same time the speaking engagment of dozens of pilgrims are also listed in EVERY issue of the Watch Tower, so what's your point? I don't understand where you're coming from.

RR

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

R.R.,

Russell doesn't come through to me in the pages of ZWT on the same par as pilgrims. How did you come to the conclusion that he is the "faithful and wise servant"?

P.S. Indeed a search for "Pastor Russell" in ZWT brings up 110 documents.

While he may not have added his name to pamphlets and tracts, he had no such qualms when it came to Pastor Russell's Sermons (hundreds of them published in newspapers all over the world).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit