Crisis Of Conscience - What Did The Society Say?

by dh 34 Replies latest jw friends

• dh
    dh

I remember reading somewhere online that the society have banned JW's from reading Ray Franz book; Crisis Of Conscience. I wondered what the details of this were, have they actually named the book in any of their publications? or spoken publicly against it? or have they just branded it as 'apostate' in the genral sense and therefore anyone reading it is reading 'apostate' material?

I recently ordered a copy and I would like to convince some of my JW family members to read it, so I also wondered if anyone knew which Society publications were actually written by Ray Franz. This would be a good way in, as if a JW believed and followed the other books Ray wrote, they can't easily dismiss this one off hand.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

I lived in the borg for 2 years, and I never recall a direct and specific BAN on that book. I mean, as soon as they said, "No, not that book," there would be a stampede to buy it. What the WT does is ban all "apostate" material, saying that reding such stuff is dangerous for your faith. It then says that all apostate material is full of lies, full of slander, and misdirections. They have never responded directly to the material in CoC, as far as I know. Certianly not in any material available to the general public

What they do is similar to what Stalin did about Trotsky - they just don't talk about it, they keep it from ever coming up, they lump it with all the evil things they can think of, and they don't respond and hope it goes away.

The problem is, it takes more than an icepick to dislodge truth. The book is free of rancor, free of unecessary vitriol, and is amazingly conciliatory. It contains documentation, sometimes exhaustively so. While Franz's style is occasionally hard to follow, with runon sentences and repetitive reasoning, the overall effect is honest and refreshing. For someone who just came out or is still submerged in the WT, it is like a full lungful of air to a drowning man or woman.

The general thrust of the book undermines several key points about the Witness mythis self-image:

1) the claim to divine inspiration. From the 1914 doctrine with all of its inconsistencies to the thunderous year of 1975, the facts belie the idea that these are God's chosen people.

2) the idea that love is more evident in this organization than any other. The use of Judicial committees to punish their former member show that the GB's aren't concerned about love or what is right.

3) the "faithful and discreet slave" lie. Evidence piles up that these guys aren't faithful, they aren't discreet, and they aren't even trying very hard to be.

Ray also provides some insight into how the Borg is, or was, arranged and structured and what is really important to its leadership.

A good read, even if you decide to stay a witness. Because it lets you know what the truth is about this organization, and what you can really expect from it.

I myself KNOW Ray's accusations are likely and well founded - my experience was similar as the elders in my old cong. were out to get rid of me.

CZAR

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    For someone who just came out or is still submerged in the WT, it is like a full lungful of air to a drowning man or woman.

Spot on!

If your family members know who Ray is and consider themselves to be good JW's, then good luck getting them to read the book. Then again, I'm stating this based on my experience with American JW's, from what I've surmised during my time on this board Brit JW's are perhaps a bit more open-minded.

Ray wrote the Aid to Bible Understanding book.

• RR
    RR

Actually, COC is at the Bethel library. RR

• mineralogist
    mineralogist

In germany there was a BOE in the early 90's regarding COC as this was mentioned in a JC. The elders should investigate the "brothers" and look for this book and also report about the reaction.

• jws
    jws

I don't remember Franz or his books ever being mentioned by name. If anything, there may have been an announcement that he was disfellowshipped.

I do remember that after he left, one of the national news magazines (like Time or Newsweek) had a short little article about it. Somebody from our hall photocopied it and showed copies around the hall. I did not know who he was, but learned that he was a GB member and it intrigued me that somebody so high up would/could leave. He, of course, hadn't written the book yet.

I can't remember how I knew, but somehow I found out that he had written a book and immediately wanted to get my hands on a copy. It wasn't until about '91 that I found a way to do that and I ordered it immediately. I was so anxious to read it as his leaving had been such a mystery to me. I wanted to know what dirt he uncovered that made him leave.

If you're interested, Franz also published a book called "In Search of Christian Freedom". I found it long and detailed and hard to get through, but it makes some very good points. To tell the truth, I only got through the first bit of the book where he is comparing the JWs to the Catholic Church in how they took away a personal relationship with God and inserted themselves as the authority in-between.

Other good books are those of Carl Olof Jonsson. Ray Franz mentions him. His books are Gentile Times Reconsidered (a more detailed work on the chronology of 1914) and "Sign of the Last Days - When?" (which goes sign by sign and refutes the JW claims Are there more earthquakes, plagues, more famine, etc.?)

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

I may be way off on this... but I seem to remember some sort of hubub in the 70's (?) and some sort of announcement, followed by the usual *tsk tsk* and *oh my* of the audience.

Nothing was ever really spoken about WHAT he did - just that he had been DFed - or replaced - or whatever.

It made me wonder 'what the heck?' - but the 'penalty' for questioning ... well... anyway.

I do not ever remember anything in print - other than the 'letter' if it was even in one... and the announcement from the platform.

Regards,

Jim TX

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

In 1986 a general mention was made along with this photo, minus the actual picture of the CofC book.

This is from Randy Watters' Freeminds site.

http://www.freeminds.org/sales/most_burned.htm

This info from the same site might be very useful too:

http://www.freeminds.org/psych/openmind.htm

• Mary
    Mary
    I recently ordered a copy and I would like to convince some of my JW family members to read it, so I also wondered if anyone knew which Society publications were actually written by Ray Franz. This would be a good way in, as if a JW believed and followed the other books Ray wrote, they can't easily dismiss this one off hand.

Be very careful when approaching your JW family with "apostate" literature. The name "Ray Franz" is synonymous with "Judas Iscariot" as far as most Dubs are concerned and most will not read his book, simply because they've been told not to. It makes absolutely no difference that he was once a member of the GB---he deviated from what the rest of them wanted to do, so they cast him out without a second thought and is, in their opinion, the ultimate betrayer, part of the "Evil Slave Class". You can and probably would be disfellowshipped if the elders found out you were reading his book. They can, and do "easily dismiss it" and view it the same as a book written by Satan himself......

• dh
    dh

Thanks very much for your comments on this. I appreciate what everyone has said, and that it may be difficult to convince anyone to read it because of the depth of indoctrination, but still it's worth a shot. The family members I have in mind wouldn't shun me over it, and they may read it if I point out that there is nothing current naming the book specifically to be avoided, and if they think JW's have 'the truth', and the GB is divinely inspired, one would would hope they have some interest in knowing why the guy who wrote the Aid Book (which my dad still sometimes uses!) would jump ship, especially when he was on the divinely inspired GB.

Of course I will have to work on my sales pitch and I will read the book myself first!

Does anyone know of any other society publications written by Ray?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit