How did you get through mind numbing meetings?

by minimus 46 Replies latest jw friends

• Magwitch
    Magwitch
    As a child, those beatings in the back room were a pretty good motivator to sit up, sit still and tune out. Of course, it was not just the back room that motivated me ..... there was also the book study at our house where wooden spoons were swinging regularly, the back of my mother's hand was always ready to go or my personal favorite was the humiliating loud deafening slap on a bare thigh (in plain view of everyone). I also remember being reprimanded from the platform by my father a couple of times during a Watchtower study.  Lots and lots of motivation!! 
  • kairos
    kairos

Extended parking lot patrols.

I'm out for good now.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

During our fade, I select the occasional meeting we attend, by checking out the material on offer. For tonight's meeting, it was too much to think about, let alone go and listen to it, so we enjoyed another night off!

All is going well!

• Lusius Holder
    Lusius Holder

I sat through the meetings for the first fourteen years of my life.

A pen or pencil got me through them. There were no tablets or cellphones back then.

I would draw random lines between the text, tracing a scribble that would output the madness going on inside my head.

I would draw little tiny stick people doing mountain climbing feats on the lettering.

I got whacked many times for drawing though. But it was worth it, imo.

• Hairtrigger
    Hairtrigger
    Keep shifting the peepers from one good looking sister to the next and think up appropiate compliments for afterthe meeting!!.
  • rebel8
    rebel8

Among other things, I used to "take notes" in shorthand. My 'notes' said things like, "f-ing lies". lol

Also, I played lots of practical jokes on the sistas and bros. Lots.

For years, my main goal for meetings and ass-emblies was to not get in trouble for LMAO. I was incessantly giggling for about 5 years straight, because of the notes and jokes, and other stuff I'd think up to amuse myself.

• mynameislame
    mynameislame

I used to talk through the entire meeting. A friend told me a story about when he was studying and came to one of the meetings during the CO visit. I was sitting near the front of the hall with a friend of mine and we were talking away during the CO's talk. The CO stopped the talk to give us a dirty look. Then he tells me I gave the CO a dirty look of my own and went right on talking. I don't know if it is true but I really hope it is. It does sound a bit like me.

I never really listened to a meeting until I was DFed, that's when I started to wake up.

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

When I was a child, I used to make sure there was a little piece of thread in my pocket. I would pull it out during the meeting and very carefully tie knots...trying to build a bigger knot in the middle. This was seriously a regular survival tactic. I would be so desperate if I realized I had forgotten a string. 

Also, there were bathroom breaks. I would very foolishly stand up and go down the long side of of chairs, just to make the break THAT much longer. Finally one sister stopped me and yell-whispered "Why do you go THiS way? You disturb every single person in this whole row!! Go the other way!!!' She had to say this to me, because my mother was so oblivious, completely enraptured by the meetings, and had no idea what I was doing. I was petrified by the sisters comment and never did it again, and always rued that I couldn't, cuz that was like 10 more seconds of meeting time without something to do. 

Oh my god, it was so miserable. A little hell for children. I'm so glad I survived that first 40 years, and never, ever have to go to a meeting again, until it's funerals for family members :(. 

When I had my own kids, I would stay in the nursing room like half an hour at a time. When they got older, we would go for walks around the KH. We used to watch bees and ants. The interminable circuit assemblies were the worst. Toward the end it was so bad. I tried all I could do not to start screaming during meetings. I had to constantly tap my feet or hands just to stay in control.

Never, ever, ever again!! Ever ever!!!!!!!! And service too!!!!!!!! Always HATED service. Funny thing is, that since I left, I always jump at every opportunity to go knock on neighbors doors! Whether passing out fliers about block parties or a school campaign or whatever. It's so weird cuz I always hated service. I guess it's a life habit and I get my fix this way.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

rebel8: "Also, I played lots of practical jokes on the sistas and bros. Lots."

Could you tell us a few?

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    I actually got through the meetings ok - I was still a believer, somewhat. It was in field service that I would suffer from anxiety attacks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit