A challenge to all atheist?

by meggidon555 47 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• myauntfanny
    myauntfanny

Oh well, I'll accept the challenge. I'll probably be sorry.

A) Belief in God is not enough to stop people from murdering, on the contrary, it's an excuse that's been used rather often to murder people. The bible is full of God's chosen wiping out pagan nations. After all, we currently have a very devout president, but that hasn't stopped him starting a war.

B) You don't know what the man in the boat would have done if he had been atheist. You may be right that people who don't believe in God are more inclined to utilitarian arguments in trying to solve difficult ethical problems. But it's not logically necessary, and I have seen altruistic atheists and very calculating, self-centred believers.

• new light
    new light

I think what he is trying to say is that it is almost impossible to rally a nation behind a cause without the idea of God's backing. He is essentially admitting that governments, so far, have needed to use religion to inspire nationalism. Military forces have more soldiers and more inspiration if they think they are doing God's will. Suckers.

• new light
    new light

And yes, the biggest challenge was understanding the question.

• Realist
    Realist

where does morality come from man evolution wouldn't this be a henderance to the promotion of evolution
    moral is an important tool when building a complex society. without moral and other fear factors 
    (such as religion, fear of death etc.) keeping us in check the society would collaps.
    moral is not based on religion but on logic and equality.
  • shotgun
    shotgun

I'm kind of a born again atheist but not sure of what your looking for...are you looking for ways to reason with an atheist from a creationist point of view?

ALL I can say for sure is that I'm going to the next party Shamus has come hell or high water!

• Simon
    Simon

I say shoot the president () and then tell the other side that you are no longer a religious zealot-led fundamentalist wacko country and declare peace.

The end.

• Terry
    Terry
    where does morality come from man evolution wouldn't this be a henderance to the promotion of evolution

You are confusing morality with self-sacrifice.

It is immoral to sacrifice yourself automatically.

Morality is a very practical matter of survival. If you substitute the word "practicality" for morality you won't be confused.

You've been taught that morality is a course of doing FOR others before you do for yourself. This is mind-rape and not morality. It is religious propaganda.

The LIFEBOAT scenario is a favorite of first year Philosophy students who want to play hell with ethics. Stop and ask yourself a question. Does life have value to you? If it does, the value comes from your opportunities and how you seize them. If you don't have to die; why should you? In a life or death situation; the person who can get others to jump overboard has a survival advantage--wouldn't you say?

Let us pretend that jumping overboard and sacrificing yourself is THE ONLY MORAL course. Is it pro survival for the one practising it? Of course not!

It is illogical to call self-sacrifice moral or pro-survival.

• meggidon555
    meggidon555

thank you all for your posts

I am sorry for calling any one Stuipid no one is we are all struggling to find truth

sorry

I could not write clearly I am a beleive it or not middle school drop out so yes I need some grammar trainning!

Good posts I love A good argument I think of it a way of finding the truth

thank you

• meggidon555
    meggidon555

I guess I am trying to figure as a atheist what is a moral

because if man is the decider of what is good and what is bad

who says what is good and what is bad the majority, the chosen leader, or blind chance (evolution)

and why?

why do we have remorse for killing things?

why does mourning death better us?

I had chickens growing you know they eat there dead so do many animal but humans (minus organ transplants which I personaly detest

watch the clonus horror to see my point if you like long boring 70ties movies) have decided it was bad to a cannable

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Meggidon... if you're interested in the atheist perspectives on those questions, I would highly recommend that you read Robert Wright's The Moral Animal. It may be a little difficult for a middle-school reading level, but not any more than one of us trying to explain it in writing on this forum.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit