Did you personally know one of the 144,000?

by badboy 57 Replies latest jw friends

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    mIGHT i ASK WHAT MISTAKE THAT WAS,OR WOULD IT BE TOO UPSETTING?

Bill's wife has Alzheimer's. He took care of her, by himself, for 10 years before finally deciding it was too much and had her admitted into a nursing home. A few months later he had brief fling with a woman who lived near him. He confessed to the elders and they roasted him for it.

He was my father in law and I had lunch once or twice a week with him. I saw the affect this treatment had on him first hand.

Makes me wish the Witnesses were right about the 144,000 just so those elders would have to face Bill and answer for what they did.

• Undecided
    Undecided

My grandmother was of this class of JWs. My mothers special pioneer partner was also one of these, who ironically had a stroke at the memorial and died after being taken to the hospital.

Ken P.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

In one congregation I was in we had three, two guys and a "late-claim" old sister.
    In the circuit I was in there was one younger guy (late 40's).
    Laterly I laid that claim myself, but then found out I'd just become a Christian (albeit with a whallop) and that the number wasn't as exclusive as I had feared.

It was a truly humbling experience, only made more devastating by the WTS position regarding age, likelihood, and dates, and small numbers.

My position (now) is that 144k was always a symbolic number, like the rest of the passage of scripture.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I did..... sorta.

My mother had brought a lady into the troof. She became inactive, but she attended the next memorial. To our surprise, when the bread & wine came around, she partook. She was disfellowshipped shortly after.

• Funchback
    Funchback

There were plenty that I knew.

Dot Horley.

Jane Bauers.

Chris Overdorf.

Marvin Govens.

Bob Botini.

Jane Bauers sister (I forget her name, though).

Brother "Jay" Jacobowitz (in Parkside congregation in Flatbush).

What's funny is Dot Horley aided Jane, Jane's sister, and Chris into the "troof". That alone shows the whole 144,000 thing a crock.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

My mother, her father and a family friend.

Because I grew up around these people and saw then as just mom, grandpa and [name], I always wondered why people were awestruck by their being "anointed". To me they were just ordinary people.

• bull01lay
    bull01lay

I knew of three from my old cong (same one as LittleToe) - the 'late claim' sister was one hell of a character - she used to have me in fits of laughter!! I was a 'mic' brother, and used to dread her answers cos I couldn't keep the microphone still because of giggling too much!

My ex mother in law also laid claim to be of the anointed, shortly after going through a 2 year spree of missing the meetings and leaving her husband... she used to wander around in a daze, clutching her NWT to her chest everywhere she went!!!!!

If she really IS anointed... looks like I'm screwed at the day of reckoning!!!

Oh yeah, I know LT too, if he still counts!

Bull!

• Special K
    Special K

We had one elderly sister in our congregation.

She passed on some years ago. I don't remember her name.

Special K

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Bull:

My ex mother in law also laid claim to be of the anointed

I never knew that.
    Btw, this year was the first year without an Anniversary card from your ex.
    She'd kept in contact all that time.

• Mary
    Mary

My grandma...........she came in the "Troof" in the mid- 1930s and was always an enthusiastic Witness. Be that as it may, she was a wonderful compassionate grandma, who never treated any of her grandkids differently when many of them left the Borg..........they were her flesh and blood and there's no way she would ignore any of them. The elders knew this but maybe because they feared she jes' might be judging their sorry asses one day, they never counselled her on her "association".

Anyway, I believe the 144,000 mentioned in Revelation are natural Jews, not spiritual Jews...............do all good people go to heaven? I have no idea, but if they do, I'm sure Gran made it up there, as she was a good person.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit