Do yall like KFC?

by Frannie Banannie 45 Replies latest social current

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I'm not a great fan of any mass produced tucker. It all has drawbacks that its producers sweep under the carpet.

If you think turning veggie or vegan is an answer to animal cruelty you are being deluded by their respective cult leaders.

Have you ever watched what happens when veggies are sprayed with pesticides? I have seen huge bugs writhing in agony several hours after being sprayed. Just because they don't baa, squawk or moo is not evidence that they are having a good time.

Just be thankful that you don't have to kill your food (or the pests that want to scoff it for you) yourself.

Chris, Of the Apostate Vegan Class

• bisous
    bisous

I am not vegetarian nor vegan. I eat organic. Organic meats, vegetables, etc.Is this a guarantee? no but it is a step in the right direction.Where possible, I frequent restaurants who use organic meats/veggies.I support organizations such as http://www.foodalliance.org/index.html to help encourage sustainable practices.

We can exist at the top of the food chain in a more humane manner.

• senselessly sane
    senselessly sane

As a vegan, I find posts like these both hopeful and frustrating. I don't intend to debate the issue, since I've found if often gets nowhere, and don't want to be attacked on a message board I find welcoming. I do, however, have a question to those that do eat meat (which seems to be most if not all here).

When you eat meat, do you think about the animal that you are eating? That is, do you connect the hamburger or chicken (etc.) with a living breathing being? I don't mean to sound at all accusatory, so I apologize if my post rubs people the wrong way, but this came up at a vegetarian/vegan message board, where we don't hear the views of many omnis, and I'm really interested to hear what others think.

Personally, when I did eat animal products, I almost never thought about the food I was eating as having once been an animal. The longer I go without animal products, the more I empathize with other animals. Flesh is flesh in my mind, no matter whether it comes from a cow or chicken or whatever, and the thought of eating another animal feels almost like cannibalism to me.

(sorry bout the long post)

• Mac
    Mac

"Gimme slaw, lotsa slaw

neath the crunchy chic above

don't hold the beans"

mac, PETA class (people eating tasty animals)

*gotsta go fire up the grill now..yumbo!!

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

This topic reminded me of something.

When I was a Kid, my Mom used to buy chicken at the chicken store. I used to love to go to the chicken store. The live chickens were kept in cages. You would tell the guy how large a chicken you wanted. He would go to one of the cages and grab the chicken, tie it's feet and weigh it. I used to love to see the chickens try to run to the back of the cage. Then, the chicken would be taken into the back room and WHACK!! Off with it's head. Now, we've all heard the expression running around like a chicken without a head. Well, it's true. Then the chicken would be prepared, wrapped up and taken home. There are still some chicken stores around in some of the ethnic neighborhoods.

But, you know, I could never bring myself to eat the chicken that night. Just didn't have the heart.

It's the same thing with Lobsters. We purchaed a live lobster at the supermarket and steamed it. I just couldn't eat something that I saw alive and was killed because I wanted to eat lobster.

• senselessly sane
    senselessly sane

El Kabong:

Actually, I vaguely remember one time when I was in elementary school, my parents somehow got a hold of two chickens in a cage ( they may have fallen off a truck or something) and I think they slaughtered them in the bathroom. I honestly don't remember much of what happened, maybe it was too traumatic. I remember blood running all over the bathroom floor - we lived in a small apartment and I guess there was no other place to do it. My parents both grew up on farms, so I don't think it really bothered them. Ultimately, I'm not sure how this affected my decision years later to become a vegetarian.

• mattnoel
    mattnoel

Well I aint eatin it again !!!

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Yanno....my g/g/mother used ta go to the chicken yard every Sunday morning and get a chicken or two for Sunday dinner (down South, lunch is called dinner...and dinner is supper).

One Sunday, when I was 5 yrs old and since I was the only other early bird in the fam, I followed her out to the chicken yard and watched with a great deal of interest as she chased a chicken down and caught it. I was enthralled when she grabbed it up by the neck and started swingin' it around in a big circle over her head like she was twirlin' a lasso and was headin' for an unruly dogie.....BUT....when she snapped her wrist and popped its head off (wrung its neck), the DANG CHICKEN BEGAN RUNNING AROUND THE YARD CHASING ME!!!!!! Everywhere I ran, it followed...flapping its wings and she must not've got the vocal cords, cause I SWEAR it was squawkin' at me! I was totally terrified.....and finally ran into the house in defeat.

It didn't bother me one damn bit to see that chicken put in boilin' water to loosen its pin-feathers for pluckin' and I've enjoyed fried chicken or chicken any way I can get it ever since then.

But I prefer Popeye's Chicken anyway....it's the BEST!

Frannie B

• Soledad
    Soledad

Popeye's chicken and coleslaw and rice and beans RULE!!

Frannie, I remember seeing people do that to chickens when I live in Venezuela (snapping the neck and the chicken running around headless). I also slaughtered and gutted a small pig when I was 11 for a family cookout (lechon asado).

none of those things I did and saw made my stomach turn nor did it turn me off to meat. I love meat and seafood. And animals should be treated humanely---none of this rubbing chili pepper in the cow's eyes or anything like that. It's unnecessary. These creatures sustain us and benefit us in so many ways that we ought to treat them and the life they give us as sacred.

One thing I hate is bullfighting. Now that should be outlawed, and I don't care for how long it's been done and what it means to xyz culture---it's wrong!

• Stefanie
    Stefanie

I like the chicken breast from popeyes, but i like to make the mashed potatoes at home...

I love meat as well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit