Why don't J.W.'s celebrate Thanksgiving?

by hubert 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

Just like mamma and pappa day

WTS answer "you're supposed to be thankful EVERY day"

• myelaine
    myelaine

The WBTS has deceived the JW's into working their lives "to death" for a thankless " a God". The True and Living God asks us to be thankful in everything we do. Give thanks for being ABLE to celebrate. Thats what Thanksgiving Day is all about.

michelle

• Scully
    Scully

blondie:

BTW, Scully, do Canadians do the turkey bit?

Yes, that's traditional Thanksgiving fare. Although I've been known to break with tradition and serve a nice pork roast (with home made applesauce) and red cabbage along with the usual variety of veggies. Pumpkin pie and/or apple pie for dessert.

Love, Scully

• hubert
    hubert

Sometimes, depending on the appetite, we'll do ham, instead of turkey.

Hey, you guys turned my post into a Thanksgiving chit-chat !!

It's okay, though. My wife and I are getting a big kick out of it !!!

hubert

• pamkw
    pamkw

My mom always said it was because "we thank God everyday, and don't need a speical day to do it." But she always ran out in November and bought up the turkeys that were on sale. And later she raised turkeys on their farm and my brother would dress them and sell them to people he worked with. And my mom was out there pulling turkey feathers out of dead birds to make extra money from their 'worldly holiday'. I have to admit they raised some monster birds that cooked up so fine. Mom always made sure they would save me at least one.

I always thought it was a way to be different, the "look at us, see we are not like you" thing going on.

Pam

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    I was told it was because "we shouldn't be thankful only one day"....

What a dumb argument! They're always going on about how important meeting attendance is, yet they don't have a meeting every day of the week - they "set aside" certain parts of the week for receiving the "spiritual nourishment" of the meetings - why can't they get their heads around the similar logic of "setting aside" a day to be mindful of God's providence? Isn't the Memorial something along these lines??

• CeriseRose
    CeriseRose

*glares at you all and reminds self of the wedding dress and the calendar, the wedding dress and the calendar while looking longingly at the mashed potatoes and gravy*

*sigh*

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

sigh......... how long until Turkey Day? May just have to pick up a turkey roast for the weekend!

Sherry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit