Why don't J.W.'s celebrate Thanksgiving?

by hubert 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Stefanie
    Stefanie

I know huh?

This year will be my third one....... out of the closet of course..

• doodle-v
    doodle-v

hmmmm, this thread is making me really hungry

Is it time to eat yet?

-Doodle-V

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

I have a turkey in the freezer... I just need me someone whut knows how to cook it!

Any volunteers?

*wide grin*

Jim TX

• Stefanie
    Stefanie

Ohh oooo.

I know how!!!!

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3
    They do celeberate it, they just wont admit it.

I totally vouch for this. The other holiday (US) I know they celebrate in practice is 4th of July. Fireworks anyone?

JWs are even known to join their non-JW family for a turkey dinner as long as it not actually "thanks-giving day" (but on that weekend). My Dad (an elder) would even say the prayer for the meal! Stuff your conscience with that one.

• Scully
    Scully

Terry writes:

It might have something to do with the fact that the first four presidents of the Watchtower society were Turkeys.

Yep... good point... besides, for some JWs, eating turkey would constitute cannibalism...

Seriously, though, I believe the "rationale" (if you can call it that) for not observing Thanksgiving, is that God should be thanked every day, not on a certain day, once a year. Besides, it would interfere with Field Service? groups trying to interfere with family gatherings and football parties.

Love, Scully

PS: Terry, are you saying that WTS Presidents #5 (Henschel) & 6 (Jaracz) aren't turkeys??

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Eating a turkey the same day every year is idol worship

• blondie
    blondie

Thanksgiving is considered a national holiday and celebrating is considered nationalistic by the WTS, similar to the 4th of July. Each country has their equivalent of an independence day. Thanksgiving day is October 2 in Canada.

That doesn't stop JWs from getting together with JW friends and JW family and eating turkey...

hypocrites

Blondie

• Scully
    Scully
    Thanksgiving day is October 2 in Canada.

Actually, in Canada, Thanksgiving is observed the second Monday in October. It usually falls on the same day as Columbus Day.

• blondie
    blondie

Sorry, misread my Google choice.

BTW, Scully, do Canadians do the turkey bit?

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit