U.S. death toll in Iraq at 1,000

by Simon 60 Replies latest social current

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

1000 people died in a war that has lasted over 1 year.

At Gettysburg 63,000 Americans died in one DAY.

15,000+ People died in the Same Year in the U.S. Alone from DRUNK DRIVING. I dont see Simon or anyone else on here ranting and raving about the horrors of alcohol, the 1,000s of needless deaths its creates, how corporations profit off it those deaths, and how it should be banned.

Get REAL.

Well back I go to work, making sure that it doesnt hit 2000.

• Simon
    Simon
    I thought I might mention that your death toll figure includes those who died of natural causes, automobile accidents and other non war related incidents/injuries

I'm sure the relatives are relieved and conforted knowing that their sons and husbands died in a helicopter crash in a foreign country instead of being shot in the foreign country

I dont see Simon or anyone else on here ranting and raving about the horrors of alcohol, the 1,000s of needless deaths its creates, how corporations profit off it those deaths, and how it should be banned.

People make their own choices when it comes to Alcohol and I do object to immoral behaviour by corporates.

BTW: How far back do you want to go? Am I only allowed to criticise modern DUMB policy if I start at 6,000BC and some ill-conceived Egyption invasion of Sudan and work forward from there?

• ballistic
    ballistic

It's a good job I don't often get involved in these topics, but I find it so amazing that people (yes particularly the vocal U.S. people) believe the "English" were saved from the Nazis when in fact, the only part of England occupied by the Nazis was a small island off the coast of France, and in fact the allied troops worked together to liberate much of the rest of Europe. But it's like banging your head against a wall, if that many people have their own version of it. What actually happened was the English had to beg for help from the US to form a coallition.

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

Ok Simon, you're absolutely right.

How about we put Saddam Hussein back in power, apologize profusely, and pay for the damages?

I'm being very serious. We shouldn't have invaded Iraq unilaterally therefore Saddam's regime should logically then go back where we found it, which is in power.

Mike.

p.s. 75 down to 25, this one should be worth at least 10 or so...

• Xena
    Xena
    I'm sure the relatives are relieved and conforted knowing that their sons and husbands died in a helicopter crash in a foreign country instead of being shot in the foreign country

Yes, and I'm sure they are happy to know their loved ones deaths are being used to inflate numbers for someone's political agenda.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Any chance of this thread getting moved to the "Politics" section?

I tend to avoidthe vitriol of threads there, and it seems that the discussion here has swiftly moved away from simple "current affairs".

Just an observation...

• ballistic
    ballistic

I will second that.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

xena...

Oh, well, if only 756 (funny, you didn't report the figure) have died as a result of hostile action it's obviously fine, what are we worrying about...

Crazy...

Seems a lot more Americans have to die before it bothers you...

... oh, Gettysburg was Americans killing Americans with Americans to blame. DIfferent.

15,000 people who die drunk driving die in an ACCIDENT, even if it's caused by some idiot's (or their own) lack-of-care.

The soldier die as a result of a deliberate action. DIFFERENT.

When you can actually understand the difference between what you erroneously cite as similar examples and the deaths in Iraq we'll continue the conversation further.

Benddr...

Do suporters of American foreign policy go to a school for logical fallacies? Is it the only thing they can do to defend their opinion? WHO SAID PUT HIM BACK IN POWER? Straw man argument.

And it seems Nathan likes having opinion but doesn;t want to defend them. Just as well, he'd have a job...

• Xena
    Xena

Abaddon,

Any and all deaths are tragic. I didn't specify any numbers and therefore didn't feel the need to count up an exact figure. If someone uses a number to support their opinion they should be prepared to back it up...or be honest and say it is wrong when it is. It's called honesty in reporting...after all that is what this was supposed to be wasn't it???? Just reporting the news? Not just spreading propaganda.

• Simon
    Simon

Xena, it seems you are the one trying to push your own propaganda / agenda.

Tell me, if someone dies in a helicopter crash in Iraq - isn't that a consequence of being at war and in a conflict situation? Whether they are shot buy an enemy, die in an accident or in fact shot by someone on their own side ... they are still just as dead and just as missed by their family. And the reason they were there does not change.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit