Rutherford Exposed: The Story of Berta and Bonnie

by Farkel 747 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Merry Magdalene
    Merry Magdalene

HUH?!? WHAT?!? Curiouser and curiouser!!!

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I checked the passenger list for the S. S. Mariposa further and found that Joseph Rutherford was also aboard on the same voyage. It looks like he boarded the ship at Sydney,Australia on 4/29/1938 and then Berta Peale, Malcolm Rutherford, and his wife Pauline Rutherford boarded at Honolulu, Hawaii on 5/11/1938, with the ship arriving in Los Angeles, California on 5/16/1938. The passenger list also mentions Matthew Howlett, Bonnie Heath, and William Heath tho their names are crossed out for some reason:

This information is so tantalizing. That Joseph Rutherford travelled with his son at least part of the way shows that the two did have some interaction as late as 1938. But what was the nature of this interaction? Was this an attempted reconciliation? Or did they earlier have continued contact? Why did they travel part of the way together and yet Malcolm and Pauline spent their time in Hawaii while Joseph was off in Australia? And what significance is there that Berta Peale spent her time with the junior Rutherford? What did they do together? Did they get along together? What did Malcolm think of this young woman that his dad spent so much time with? So many questions with no answers!

• Merry Magdalene
    Merry Magdalene

Intriguing indeed!....And thank you Barbara for that remembrance of Mr. Dederian. What an odd way of napping. ~Merry

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Okay, it looks like that Bonnie and William Heath boarded a DIFFERENT ship in Honolulu on 5/14/1938 (switching from the S. S. Mariposa to the S. S. Matsonia), which is why their names were crossed off in the Sydney departure roster, since they would not arrive in Los Angeles on that ship.

So....to add to the mystery, why did they switch ships?

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Leolaia

I've been going through the thread a saw a missing image and wondered if you still had a copy.

You said this at the end of page 4

LeolaiaRe: Rutherford Exposed: The Story of Berta and Bonnie 07-Sep-04 18:33

Now that I know Berta's father's name, William Teel, I decided to go back and check the 1910 census to find where Berta and her family came from in North Carolina. William was 55 years old in 1920, so he was likely born around 1865. I then checked the 1910 census for a William Teel living in North Carolina who was born around 1865. There I found William R. Teel, living in Greenville, Pitt, North Carolina, who gave his age as 50. This age is five years off from the one given in the 1920 census, but people lie about their age -- especially in middle age. His wife was Mary R. Teel, age 49, and Sallie Jane Teel, age 74, lived a few doors down. No kids are mentioned.

larc, VM44: Sorry, those papers are not in the collection, just the Long Beach Independent and a slew of other Ohio newspapers.

I really would like to see that story from the Akron paper. That should shed light on some things.

HOLY SH**!! I just searched for "Bonnie Boyd" in the 1930 census. Farkel's gonna loooooove this! I gotta post a picture of this. Words cannot express what you can see with your own eyes.

Continuing on page 5 you posted:

LeolaiaRe: Rutherford Exposed: The Story of Berta and Bonnie 07-Sep-04 19:34

The link for the image was: http://www.pixfiles.net/pix/161542102331169708.jpg

Can you repost that if you still have it and perhaps link it to the above thread.

If I find any others I'll let you know

Lee

• jgnat
    jgnat

This material would make a FANTASTIC love-triangle novel. We've got prohibition. We've got power. Cruises. Conventions. Drama. ...and Sex. Imagination can fill in the blanks.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Lady Lee...Page 4 is eons ago and it was the first document I had that placed Bonnie and Rutherford together, in this case, at Bethel. The image was reposted on p. 21 of this thread, the 1930 census of Bethel.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

In case anyone wondered, the trip to Sydney was of course connected to a convention. The 15 February 1938 Watchtower states: "Jehovah's witnesses will assemble in convention at Sydney, Australia, April 22-25 inclusive. This convention will serve both Australia and New Zealand. The public address of the president will be radiocast. All who love and serve Jehovah will be welcome." (p. 2)

Apparently there was a change in plans. Did Rutherford want to surprise the convention goers by appearing unannouced? And why did Berta not go with Rutherford all the way to Australia to attend this convention but instead stayed in Hawaii with his son and daughter-in-law? Was there a convention at the same time in Hawaii or did she just skip out of going to a convention to see lovely Hawaii?

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Hi Leolaia

I'm on page 8 and saw your note re the missing image file. Then I figured someone may have already reposted it.

Thanks

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Wow, I can't believe info is still being found. Very cool stuff! Thank you to all who have brought info into this ongoing thread!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit