Serena Williams (Dishonors) American Flag!

by Voyager 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Voyager
    Voyager

Friends, I apologize if this is old information. Sometimes I can't keep up with (all) the posts here. The thread lists this as (Janurary 25, 2003) so thats why I thought it to be old.

I remember that Serena Williams had (won) the cup and championship, and was photographed carrying the American flag, or engaging in what (some people) considered as (idolatry),--But what was (news) to me, was the fact that she was also photographed (Dishonoring) the American Flag as well.

Go here and look at the (second) photo. If you click on the word provided, it gives you the (laws) on the American Flag.

http://vikingphoenix.com/news/stn/2003/stn2003-001.htm

Backup thread:

http://vikingphoenix.com/news/stn/2003/stn2003-001.htm

Again, I apologize if this is just old and not worth much.

Voyager

• simplesally
    simplesally

Remember when she won the Olympics, she ran with American flag..........now sitting on it.

• Max Divergent
    Max Divergent

Poor girl probably didn't know - patriotic stuff like the flag not touching the ground probably wasn't big at home... Seems a bit precious to me, especially becuase...

(And was on the ground too).

"When flown in Australia or on Australia territory the Australian national flag takes precedence over all national flags."

But hey... it's an informally set photo shoot amongst various flags by the side of the river for a victorious athlete and managed to breach a few popints of protocol presumably for artistic effect... who the hell really cares?

• Stefanie
    Stefanie

Yikes!

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

Could there be a more useless topic? Now here is a real show stopper, Serena Williams, like most of today's young americans, does not have a clue about flag etiquette. Well, there goes the country! As if properly caring for the flag solves economic problems, or feeds the homeless, or brings troops home, or stops the war on terror, or does anything for anybody productive for that matter?

But, somehow, it must take an enormous amount of intellect to siphon this minutiae and display it here for public fodder. I get inflamed when ridiculous topics like this are presented as if they actually contain substance or merit. Who cares whatever happens to a piece of cloth? It is just a flag, get over it and get a life and find a way to be productive without annoying the general public and casting foolish aspersions to popular people you do not know in person.

Unbelievable!

• Max Divergent
    Max Divergent

Actually, looking closer it just might be the British flag behind the US flag in those sitting pictures...

But in another picture, another rule seems to be broken: "The [Australian] flag should not be smaller than that of any other flag or ensign." The Australian flag seems to be smaller and in the lowest and most inferior position of the three foreign flags on Australian sovereign territory (the other flags being US, UK and France - the other countries to hold Grand Slam tournaments ).

The annoying thing about that site is that it complains about the US flag being on the ground, but dosn't acknoledge that the US flag was given improper prominance over the host nation's flag thus causing an offence to their soverignty (as well as three other countries flags touching the ground too).

It smacks of arrogent patriotism, not a genuine concern for the sanctity of national symbols.

Fortunatly, Australian's are pretty cool and wouldn't have been too bothered... probably wouldn't have even noticed.

• Voyager
    Voyager

Utopian Reformist:

What is asinine and irrelevant is (your) getting all bent out of shape about the subject. Calm down, take your Prozac and take a walk. You'll get over it. After all, we all can't wait on (you) to solve all the worlds homeless and other problems either!

Unbelievable!

• Maverick
    Maverick

I agree that it is in poor taste. But l really like the girl so, This American forgives her! Mav

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

I thought she was promoting the American Flag, nos dishonoring him....... my mistake I guess.

I just liked the photo's: the flags are shown beautifully........

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Reminds me of a Ren and Stimpy episode where there is a grave with the words: "I would gladly thank you not to drag your butt across my grave". Of course everyone had to take turns dragging their butts across the grave like a dog does across carpet.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit