Crying at the movies

by Insomniac 34 Replies latest social entertainment

• Freedom Fighter
    Freedom Fighter

I have to confess I find it quite easy to cry at the cinema.

One film that really set me off was Awakenings with Robin Williams and Robert de Niro. It was so sad at the end, i couldn't stop the tears flowing.

Another couple with the same effect are Bambi and Dumbo. At the part where Bambi's mother dies I feel my lip starting to quiver. Anything where kids, animals etc are distressed, hurt, ill etc. really upset me - I'm a total softy as some of the other posters.

I am a big Jimi Hendrix fan and I always find his concerts hard to watch, knowing that he died so young and needlessly. I admire his artistry but this is tempered with a degree of sadness.

FF

• Jasmine
    Jasmine

My classic tear jerkers:

Man without a face (with Mel Gibson)

Upclose and Personal

Awakenings

Beaches

Patch Adams

Kramer vrs. Kramer

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Did anyone else mention Somewhere in Time?

ohmigosh, this was my 2222th post!

This is my favorite number and I can't believe I wasted it on this thread.....

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

I always cry at the end of "Tim" with Mel Gibson and Piper Laurie...

and "Mask".....the story of Rocky Dennis, with Cher and Sam Shepherd makes me cry in quite a few scenes.

Frannie B

• Makena1
    Makena1

Okay - I will admit to blinking back the tears at some of those listed above -

However, real men like me cried seeing:

Braveheart

Gladiator

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

Shane

Ol' Yeller

but did NOT cry while watching Bridges of Madison County.

Mak

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

I was just reminded when watching the end of "La Bamba"....I cried....because I remember being in a little snack canteen next to the gym at our Jr. High School, when the announcement came over the radio that Richie Valens, the Big Bopper and Buddy Holly had died....the Buddy Holly Story makes me cry, too.

What tragic losses!

Frannie B

• Terry
    Terry

Movies that wreck me (in no particular order):

SPARTACUS

THE MAN IN THE MOON (not the Jim Carrey move with a similar title)

SNOW FALLING ON CEDARS

GOODBYE MR.CHIPS (PETER O'TOOLE VERSION)

SHENANDOAH

WHAT DREAMS MAY COME

ISLANDS IN THE STREAM

THE UMBRELLAS OF CHERBOURG

MY LIFE

SAYONARA

E.T.

THE MIRACLE WORKER

• scotsman
    scotsman

I've just seen HERO at a Film Festival and it's so beautiful in parts I cried. I think it was released in the States this weekend, go and see it if you can.

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

The Green Mile

Little Man Tate. I've seen this one so many times and it's such a perfect movie for what it is. So poignantly sad.

• Jez
    Jez

I totally bawl at LORENZO'S OIL. The commitment and love shown by these parents to their ill son earns them an honorary doctorate degree AND they cure hundreds more kids like their son. At the end of the movie, they show all these boys playing, sliding, running that would have been severely physically handicapped, unable to do one thing for themselves, BUT they can. That end bit, just aches.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit