When an Elder assigned to give a talk is a no show.

by Blueblades 30 Replies latest watchtower bible

• onacruse
    onacruse

jgnat:

The very first service I went to was short the speaker. They went ahead with the study and encouraged the congregation to use the extra hour to put in some field services.

LOLOLOL....yes, that reminds me of those relatively few Sunday meetings where we "got off free"...we all went to the the local restaurant and enjoyed our fish & chips.

Usually, though, some die-hard elder would pull up an old outline and give us a talk about "Genesis 49"...a talk my Dad gave so many times that Mom and us kids would mutually agree: No way were we going with him to hear that talk again, like yet the 400th time.

Craig

• cain
    cain

i used to spend most of my sunday meetings catching up on the shut-eye lost from the obligatory BIG saturday night

so public talk or wt study - they're pretty much both the same when you're asleep

cain

• lawrence
    lawrence

Cain-

That's great!

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

If you happen to share double kingdom hall the cong that is missing the talk gets hooked up to the side that has a public speaker.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

I remember one summer when it happened 4 weeks in a row! It was great because they just sent us on our way an hour early! No-one really cared that much since there was only 18 people who showed up out of a cong of 95 slaves. The last time I remember it happening the person who gave the talk the last Sunday was asked to do the talk over again. I slept again.

• RR
    RR

That wasn't the rule in my hall, I was always the substitute man, since I could give a talk at the drop of a hat.

RR

• freedom96
    freedom96

In 20 years of going to meetings, I only remember once or twice at the most that the elder giving the talk was a no show. But, of course, someone filled in.

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

Yes, BB, I have seen both sides of that. Having been an Elder's wife for at least 15 years, there were one or two times where times would be confused and even here in USA the fluctuation of Daylight Savings Time............could make a brother miss giving his talk. And, then there were the times when Cong.'s would switch their meeting times and forget to let the brother in charge of scheduling speakers know............sometimes we'd walk in and find the congregation having their WT study...........just depended on how the brothers decided that day.........

Terri

• Max Divergent
    Max Divergent

I used to live in a remote area with only 2 elders and 1 MS who gave PT's. So we only had a talk maybe every six or ten weeks or so... it made a Sunday sort of barable...

Max

• minimus
    minimus

I've done the Watchtower first and then did a Public Talk right after. Damn, I was good.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit