When an Elder assigned to give a talk is a no show.

by Blueblades 30 Replies latest watchtower bible

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

I remember many instances when the speaker did not show up. We always preponed the WT study. There were several instances when the session was just ended after the WT study. (I remember when a sigh of relief in the congo when this happened and everyone had that smile.)

But when Bro. Prominent was there he always had several dispositions in his bag. But once when it was very hot inside the hall his wife told him to keep his finders off his bag. :-)

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

This usually happened when the Elders would all take their vacation to Florida at the same time. It was nice having a one hour meeting on Sunday

• jwbot
    jwbot

This thread reminds me of how unbarable the meetings were, and anything to stir them up or cancel them were a welcome relief. It is really sad when no one in the religion really wants to be there. Well maybe not sad... But how I loved snow storms too!

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    But once when it was very hot inside the hall his wife told him to keep his finders off his bag. :-)

LOL! He should've asked his wife to put her fingers on his bag.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

What would happen if the elder assigned to give the talk kinda does his own thing and talk about stuff not on the outline? Does he get to finish the talk and face the consequences later?

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Leo, That depends on whether or not he is local or a visiting elder. For example: A visiting elder is usually given some points the brothers want him to hightlight and stress, i.e. poor field service, low hours, sexual problems etc.

So,they will watch for that in his talk. If he does not cover these areas, his elders will hear about it. And he won't be invited back.

When A local elder takes liberties, it depends on how well he is liked on the body as to what will be or won't be said about it.

Blueblades

• Badger
    Badger

That happened once (the shortened sunday).

I looked forward to it...like a power failure or a snow day.

Isn't that PATHETIC? Shouldn't worship be ENJOYABLE?

Hell, I couldn't wait to go to service Sunday (another thread, If I feel like it) and wound up hanging around for an hour and a half longer. that could change when football starts, tho.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

In my congregation most of the time we do the WT first, and someone is asked to do the talk.

Once a big shot elder di the WT study in 1 1/2 hours (a substitute was practicing his talk in the side room) and he said after

the study that when he was in rome, it was suggested that insted of doing a so-so talk it is better to enjoy a spiritually upbuilding WT tudy!

• William Penwell
    William Penwell
    Isn't that PATHETIC? Shouldn't worship be ENJOYABLE?

The old fuddy duddies on the GB in Brooklyn have no concept of what Enjoyable should be. Studies have shown that a persons attention span is only about 15 to 20 minutes. A person can mentally only absorve that much information and then their brains shut off. I would feel guilty at the WT study when my mind would start drifting after about 15 minutes. I know now this was only normal but the society would always make you feel so guilty. I have read this is a classic mind control technique, where one is being almost in a hypnotic trance and their mind is then open to suggestions. Makes one wonder if this is deliberate.

Will

• jgnat
    jgnat

The very first service I went to was short the speaker. They went ahead with the study and encouraged the congregation to use the extra hour to put in some field services. Another weird consequence of that day, was that I was mistaken several times for the speaker's wife.

I have such an innocuous appearance. I swear I could knock off a bank.

Oh yes, another time the congregation received a mild rebuke when they had trouble finding people to put up the CO during the week.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit