When an Elder assigned to give a talk is a no show.

by Blueblades 30 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Has it happened in your congregation? An Elder is going to be late, stuck in traffic or lost, and dosen't show up at all!

Well, what to do now! According to the Society's guidelines, ( yes! they got this one covered too! ) The Chairman is supposed to be ready to give the talk at the drop of the hat.Many times the Chairman went into a panic not being prepared to give the talk.Next the P.O.will ask any Elder if he is ready to substitute, if not the P.O.has to give it or any other talk that they are familar with.

Sometimes they will do the Watchtowr study first, hoping to delay the inevitable.What about your hall, has it happened there?

Blueblades

• Mulan
    Mulan

They usually did the WT first to give an elder time to get his thoughts together to give a talk. They usually have an outline or two in their bag. Not always the chairman though.

• Stefanie
    Stefanie
    They usually did the WT first to give an elder time to get his thoughts together to give a talk. They usually have an outline or two in their bag. Not always the chairman though.

Yup.

Once they were too lazy to give the impromptu, they said everyone could go home an hour early...

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

Yeah they always did the WT study first here. We never went without the talk. I always figured might as well get the most boring part over with first..

• Margie
    Margie
    Once they were too lazy to give the impromptu, they said everyone could go home an hour early...

Oh my God! That would be like Christmas! Why didn't that eveer happen in my hall?

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

You're kidding right?? Hope the CO didn't find out!

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

Yeah it was great when the speaker wouldn't show up and all you had to do was suffer through an hour of the crap tower. I know now that they will substitute the talk with one from a local elder. No difference, same s***, different pile.

Speaking of brainy ideas, I recall once when I was a teen and the speaker didn't show, how the PO got the bright idea to do a 2 hour WT study. Talk about boring and I thought the they couldn't make the tower any more boring then it already is but I was wrong.

Will

• zion sleeping
    zion sleeping

Just happen this passed week, I too sub when there was a no show.

• lawrence
    lawrence

I remember doing quite a few talks on the impromptu - W. T. study first, and then a public talk off outline - thanks be to God I didn't drink back then on Saturday nights - I would thank Jehovah for his guidance.

• startingover
    startingover

I've seen that happen several times. I can remember the feeling of getting to leave early. It was the same feeling you get when you leave work on Friday night for a weekend of fun I remember turning around during the WT any time the door to the hall to see if it was the speaker and hoping it wasn't.

In my heyday as an MS, I had several public talk outlines. I gave them many times as I was sent out to other congs quite a bit. Being familiar with them, one time I actually filled in for a missing speaker. I really should be have the crap beat out of me for that one, what was I thinking? I guess I wasn't.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit