Rutherford's wife, why the info blackout?

by VM44 64 Replies latest jw friends

• West70
    West70

Here is another Watchtower quote that shows that Malcom Rutherford was an active Watchtower supporter. This excerpt is from J.F. Rutherford's letter to Russell re the Troy Debate, which was published in the May 1, 1915 WT. This proves that Malcom Rutherford was working alongside his Dad at least some of the time. Probably more. Malcom simply was not getting mentioned in the publications for his work with both CTR and JFR.

"I shall never be able to thank you as I would like for the letter which was signed by yourself and all the Bethel family, assuring me of your united and continued prayers in my behalf. The Lord reward all of you. This is but a reminder of the unity of the body and the sweet relationship we are privileged to enjoy here. How much sweeter it will be in the Kingdom! Brother Woodworth suggested that there must be great interest in Heaven in this debate. The Lord be praised for it all. I am thankful indeed that He was pleased to use me to glorify His dear name in any manner. Brothers Woodworth and MacMillan sat with me on the platform as counsel, and my son was by my side to take anything quickly that I desired and to prepare the copy for me without delay. All rendered valuable service. The Lord arranged it all.
  • RR
    RR

Malcolm Rutherford died about 10/15 years or, He was in his 90s. He NEVER spoke of his involvement with the Watchtower. In fact, he split right after his father became president. He lived a hermits life, moving around from place to place so that "apostates" could not find him. He hated his father from what I was told from those who knew him personally.

I knew a few Bible Students who grew up with him. At the time he died, he was renting a room in a private home. A few days later "apostates" went to visit the home and tried to gain access to his personal belongings. The owner of the house told them she would contact them AFTER she went through his things. She donated everything to goodwill.

A friend of mine eventually found his Bible in a used bookstore. In it was the name of Judge Rutherford, as it was his personal copy.

Poor guy just wanted to be left alone! But I'm sure he had some juicy stories to tell.

• orbison11
    orbison11

this is so very interesting...please keep up the good work guys

orbi

• CuriousButterfly
    CuriousButterfly

This is ALL so very interesting, thanks to all who gave snippets here and there.

• Ding
    Ding

The WTBTS requires its members to avoid entanglement with the government -- no voting, no flag saluting, no holding public office, etc.

Yet the second president of the WTBTS always insisted on being called "Judge," which only highlighted his one-time involvement with worldly government.

Isn't that background something a JW should want to forget or at least put behind him???

It certainly isn't something he shoud emphasize.

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

Back in it's roots, there was none of the emphasis on marriage, family or family values that is among the JWs now. IN fact, they were rather indifferent to the whole topic, it wasn't addressed a lot in old literature, and when it was, it was always secondary to the "spiritual family". I get the feeling that both Russell and Rutherford were lousy husbands (for different reasons) and since divorce was not so very proper or common back, especially for a holy guy, then so they just quietly put their wives aside and made some provision for them.

I think the JWs jumped on the moral majority wagon, the shift in the literature to giving a big damn about family,children and family values in a big way seems to correspond with the rise of the MM, and I'm thinking they were tuned in to attracting that same demographic, people concerned about raising their kids in a changing world.

• GrandmaJones
    GrandmaJones

Oh, I am so glad to find this information. How very interesting. I have been trying to read all the old postings and am spending many hours doing so. Thanks to you all for your wonderful research.

• elderelite
    elderelite

CB you are on a roll today girl!!!! Good on you! this is a great read!

• Mythbuster
    Mythbuster

Here is Rutherford's explanation of his "judgeship" from his Trial for Sedition etc:

Q. Have you held judicial office in the state of Missouri?
    A. At times I have served as Judge of the Circuit Court under a special Statute in Missouri where members of the Bar are elected as Judges to hold special terms for special cases. That is the only capacity in which I have served judicially.

An interesting thing I saw while reading through the transcript is that when the Defense Attorneys called their witnesses, each defendant was asked where do you live, are you married, any children yadda yadda but these weren't asked of Rutherford.

(I haven't finished reading it yet so it's possible the prosecution asked him.)

• GrandmaJones
    GrandmaJones

It's lies. lies. and more lies. isn't it?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit