Since JWs Never Helped Anyone But Themselves, What Do You Do 4 People?

by minimus 42 Replies latest jw friends

• lazyslob
    lazyslob

You bet

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

Interesting topic, Min, and something I've been thinking about lately.

I have:
    Started to recycle seriously now. We have cut the amount of trash that we have on trash day about 60%-whooohoooo!

Learned to feel proud about my decision to buy used items as much as I possibly can. I also view this as a form of recycling, and the money goes directly into the community to either the previous owners, or to the various charity thrift shops that I use.

Volunteered in a special needs elementary classroom.

Volunteered to write articles for the school paper on the subject of domestic violence, and to help out at the domestic violence awareness events that my college held.

Participated in the adopt-a-highway program

Participated in food drives (always did this,and allowed kids to, even as a JW)

Helped out at children's events at my kids' schools and at my college

Was a 4-H volunteer (did this as a JW, despite the flack)

I plan to:
    Check into being a polling place volunteer

Calling this week to join a local river clean up day

Donate blood (I have one of those types they beg for, lol)

Keep looking for ways to volunteer that will jive with my school schedule, as I now understand how important community contribution truly is, and how most often, I gain so much more from the experience than I give.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

I donate blood, donate clothing, shoes, toiletries, food, etc. to the residents at the local Y.W.C.A. (they're ignored cause nobody made a song about 'em), have taught classes at the Y.W.C.A., cook and bake pies for sick friends and patients, take care of old peeps....also watching Crabby Pants' back....

Frannie B

• BLISSISIGNORANCE
    BLISSISIGNORANCE

I have stopped giving people crap at the door...................now I give my kids unconditional love and time. I give my friends whatever I can, without judgement, I give to charities, and I have plans for the future to help drug and alcohol groups.

Cheers, Bliss

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Amen to THAT, Bliss!

Frannie B

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

I have found that we as a family give more now than ever since I haven't been attending meetings for some years now.

Pay the rent for a family (mother w/4 children no husband abandoned them) we have paid for over a year now.

Built a house for 9 members of a family to live in, prior to that they were living in a shack not big enough for three people.

Have helped the homeless, poor when able to.

We found ourselves helping much much more than ever when I was a witness, now we really do show love for people instead of looking at them as receipents of the latest WT and Awake mags.

Helping you fellow man was never a part of any congregation that I and family ever attended.

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Thunder and I do charity rides on our Harley Bikers for Babies..Putt for Mutts etc.

I donate blood

I have volunteered for CASA

We donate to charity all the time and the food drives

I give items to the Salvation Army and use to give to Synergy the proceeds went to battered women and children (they closed:(

I am a member and Historian of Phi Theta Kappa (two year college honor society) I do all kinds of stuff this year it is going to the Cancer Society.

Hmm I think that's it....

• minimus
    minimus

For the first time I went to a Greek Orthodox church fair and brought home delicious dishes (to help support the church).

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

I don't have a lot of money or time, so mine are, unfortunately, more sporadic. When I was laid off awhile back I worked for the Northwest Aids Alliance. I support the HRC, which is working towards equality for gays, lesbians, transgendered and bisexual individuals. I also organized a food drive for the local food bank at work in April (I know they need food at non-holiday time) and collected two barrels of food and $500.00. That wasn't too bad since we have a very small office.

I'm not sure what my next project will be, although I'm going back for the second time to UU, and they are very active with things like that, so we'll see.

Sherry

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Min: Not sure WHY you never respond to me when I answer one of your questions...do we have a problem?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit