Since JWs Never Helped Anyone But Themselves, What Do You Do 4 People?

by minimus 42 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

You know Min as a JW (way back when) I did do a lot of things. They might have been towards other JWs but I did a lot.

• learned sign language to help interpreting in the cong but
    • also went with the deaf to Dr appt and lawyers.
    • went to the hospitals with them and helped with funeral arrangements
    • we were always helping someone move
    • helped the sick
    • took people shopping
    • made meals for sick ones
    • did hospital visits
    • taught people how to sew, knit and crochet
    • listened to the things they would not go to the elders about (and never snitched)
    • I also helped neighbors (non-JWs) who were sick and needed a bit of help with shopping

After I left I went back to school and

• got involved with disabled services and rights
    • set up an non-profit org to provide support services to incest survivors
    • when I had my practice I always worked on a sliding scale and usually had 1 or 2 clients for free or $5 per session
    • tutored ESL
    • read books for the blind
    • transcribed a Psych textbook into braille by hand no less
    • oh and set up my web page regarding abuse (link in my profile)
    • oh and I won't mention the cookbooks I did here

Oh and the book Tales of Christmas that was published last winter is being officially released this fall and hopefully will be in the book stores this coming Christmas - well all the authors (all 15 of us) have agreed to read the book on tape (for free) to be aired on Voiceprint http://www.voiceprintcanada.com/

While VoicePrint's core target audience are blind or vision-impaired Canadians, more than 500,000 Canadians from all walks of life cite VoicePrint as their main source of news and information
  • Odrade
    Odrade

Thanks Blondie! That sounds right up my alley, I'll look into it.

O

• Glenmore
  • roybatty
    roybatty

Volunteer at the local YMCA (currently refurbishing an old building into a YMCA center) and I coach the local youth tackle football team.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

Not a hell of a lot, lately, but I did have some Fun With Activism right after I unjaydubbed.

• Marched in several Gay Pride parades with the UU church I belonged to.
    • Stood in the receiving line outside the Gay Prom and helped drown out the Fun-damn-mentalist hecklers, for several years in a row.
    • After I burned out on that, discovered and donated every month to the JT Leroy Fund until my hours & paycheck got cut in half.

Right now I'm concentrating on finding another part-time job or home business or something. I'm really at loose ends economically, but that's another thread.

gently feral

• minimus
    minimus

I do give to needy persons and have given to some causes. But I must admit, that due to my JW years, I do not put this thing as a priority. By nature, I'm a very generous person so I'm sure I'll look for more opportunities to help others in this way.

• Farkel
    Farkel

: Since JWs Never Helped Anyone But Themselves, What Do You Do 4 People?

I tell them that JWs never help anyone but themselves, and even then it is more infrequent than not. That's what I do!

Farkel

• minimus
    minimus

I'm sure that persons who were in soup kitchens regularly help non-jws more than ever.

• lazyslob
    lazyslob

About me paying tax. DonĀ“t forget that about 60% of the tax money goes to some kind of "social" purpose in Sweden. I kind of pay the goverment to do it for me.

• minimus
    minimus

....still livin' up to your name, huh?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit