Since JWs Never Helped Anyone But Themselves, What Do You Do 4 People?

by minimus 42 Replies latest jw friends

• meat pie
    meat pie

I knit by hand and machine as much as I can for a charity that distributes the items to homeless people's charities etc.Its called Queen Mary's Clothing Guild.The idea is to make something for someone, which is new and made for them, not bought, to give them a sense of worth and being valued.I love it, and I feel a little guilty that I may get more out of it than the recipients do.

Also, the last time I had a visit from an elder and m.s.the E started on about the command to preach, I said that's just what I was doing to him, by letting him know what a crooked org the WTBTS is! False Religion. He looked dumb-founded.

Shirley.

• lazyslob
    lazyslob

I pay tax.

• outbutnotdown
    outbutnotdown

Having four kids, my time is pretty occupied as it is, but I do coach my kids' soccer teams and help out with cross-country running and track and field. I know it sucked for me when I was younger, that we weren't allowed to participate in these things.

Does anybody know if the JW's have gotten any better in this area or do they still suggest order that it's better not to "associate" with worldly people?

Brad

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

In the mornings I run the local soup kitchen (Monday through Friday).In the afternoons I volunteer at the State Library (Monday through Thursday). And when we have Prison Fellowship seminars, I visit the prisons. I must admit that the State, in cutting costs for guards and chaplains needed for such programs, has reduced our visits to only about 5 per year--so there has been considerable slack in this area. In more opulent times we used to have at least one seminar per month, sometimes two (which were held on 3 nights or on Friday nights and all day Saturday). I also donate to charities, help out with Crop Walk, and am involved in church work as well. And I still find time to relax by participating on this board (mainly in the evenings and on weekends).

• minimus
    minimus

"I pay tax".

• SadElder
    SadElder

For the past seven years, and until just recently, I served as the Chair for a large endowment fund specifically setup to provide funds to the Leukemia Foundation and several free clinics. Even as a JW elder I donated time and funds to causes I felt comfortable helping, despite the opinions of the "lording it over the minions class".

My wife is quite active in fundraising causes for several worthy groups including a shelter for abused women.

• Sweetp0985
    Sweetp0985

I started out by giving donations to United Way. Then I progressed to donating plasma, mostly because I needed the little money they gave you for donating but I was helping out other people too...Now I just donate blood...I feel better donating blood too because I get no compensation for it. The only thing is they call and hassle me sometimes to come and donate because my type of blood can be used for more people(O positive). I try to go as much as I can but I'm very busy most of the time. My JW mom had a hissy fit when she found out I was donating plasma, now she has cows whenever I tell her I just finished donating blood. When I got my driver's license renewed last month I also became an organ donor.......

• Valis
    Valis

What does Minimus do?

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• jwbot
    jwbot
    "I pay tax".

Notice his name. "lazyslob".

• Survivor2004
    Survivor2004

I always gave to charity even when I was a regular,good little JW.

I remember getting "lectured" one time by a sister because I sat in a booth in a mall collecting donations for Greenpeace handing out brochures etc,, to raise public awareness.

Her words were,Jehovah is going to clean up the earth anyway so there is no need for you to be collecting money for something that is going to be fixed soon anyway and that my time would be better put to use by being in service!

It really made me angry.

I also donate to my local animal humane society,give clothes etc that I do not wear anymore to the homeless,give homeless folks downtown my change and I give to every single person who knocks on my door or accosts me in front of the liquor store on a Saturday night! LOL

Im a giver and damn proud of it!!!!

Ann

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit