Ethical question here, what to do?

by Snapdragon 28 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Oops Thanks BT I missed that part of the questions.

But I agree with every word you just said.

• Snapdragon
    Snapdragon

This is a highly charged situation, but clearly with only one course of action. I do agree that this is best kept under wraps. So in the words of jgnat, I am sitting here smug....with warm fuzzies. (Shamus, you make me laugh.)

~A

Addendum:

Also, just so you know, I'm not some random gossip. The victim is my sibling. I'm just clearing that part up, so that some of you out there (whose opinions and respect I highly value) don't think I'm nothing more than a nosey "sister". (The JW kind.)

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Snap:

Since you said that this medical information has nothing to do with the past, I'm *assuming* that this person might have some sort of awful, maybe terminal, medical problem. One for which the victims might know that at last this person is suffering, feeling the full measure of pain and fear that they might have once felt themselves, but for a different reason.

I know it's very Christ-like not to wish pain and suffering on fellow humans, but dang.. if I knew my perp was suffering a painful, and hopefully terminal, disease I would somehow feel a little avenged. Not a very charitable emotion, but human nonetheless. Like jgnat said, you know.. and that's really all you can do at this point, legally.

CG

• bem
    bem

Being in ethical bounds...you'll fell better having not divulged personal info.I'm in the same sort of job that I keep private matters private.and I am proud that I keep personal things to my self.

But along the lines of Avishai and Sheilas thinking...I have the satisfaction...of being able to report abuse...not for my own satisfaction. ( my molester died at the age of 96 in november 2003) But the people I work for ~ as in I am concerned with,and responsible for ~ are all under 18 years old. You really have there trust by the time they divulge there secrets and/or pain (and thinking back on expierience I only told adults my problems hoping they would help me in my situation) That being said I am very glad that in my situation I am obligated to report my beliefs when I suspect abuse...I am learning how to help young people when they may not know how to help themselves.

To me gloves are off with PEDO's ......but that is just me

I also agree with LL and BT some adults need to move on and would not appreciate knowing these things...~ denial keeps some people sane ~ IMO... Denial for me on the other hand kept me a victim so I discuss my own journey through this maze of emotion loud and long when I need to.

Appologies for being wordy

Dorothy

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

Of course it's not ethical, and you may decide to do it for the same reason that someone decides to act in civil disobedience. A calculated breaking of the law for a purpose you believe in. Clearly you would like to hurt the guy to offer some punishment for what he did to a couple of children.

So if you do decide to do it be prepared to hold your head up, look him in the eye and say "You are a child molestor and I did what I could to make you life harder. Now piss off"

Hopefully if you lose your job it will be worth it, but for the record I hope something happens to him to balance the scales.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

While understandable - it is not wise to do this thing. You could get into real trouble and it wouldn't improve the situation at all...

CZAR

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

I'm with Lady Lee (and others) on this issue. Emphatic NO!

It does not prevent you from being happy just knowing that "what goes around comes around", though. Heck, knowing that justice has been served brings me pleasure!

ESTEE

• truthseeker1
    truthseeker1

I believe under new HIPAA regs. you personally can be fined for releasing info that you have access to to the public. Depending on your position, it could be $50,000 to $250,000 bucks...

• TallTexan
    TallTexan
    Check the mandatory reporting laws in your state. You may be bound by law to report him to the poice.

True, but the post stated that this had 'nothing to do with the past', which I'm assuming means that it has nothing to do with pedophilia. I think it is probably more 'generic' information regarding his personal life or health.

Snapdragon,

I can understand your wishing to help the cycle of 'karma', due to his past. However, regardless of his past (and how sure are you of the information anyway?) or his past actions, it is NOT your place to take matters like this into your own hands. Put aside the fact that if the information were traced back to you that you could lose your job, and, in some states, your professional license (i.e., nursing license ) if you have one (I'm not sure what you do in the medical field), it is illegal and unethical for you to expose ANYONE's personal healthcare information, regardless of the circumstances. As much as we might like to get even with molesters, this type of action is inappropriate for a healthcare worker. People may then think "Wow, what if he/she gets mad at me? Will they share MY info with everyone?" It's the same reason that, while we may secretly agree w/ 'vigilantes' who avenge their loved ones, being a vigilante is still illegal - because everyone sees different 'crimes' differently. I may say "Well, it's o.k. to kill a molester, but not a thief", while the guy next door may have no problem with killing the thief either. In other words, each individual justifies 'a good reason' for themselves, and all those justifications are different.

Similarly, you may release this information because he's a 'molester', but someone else may want to release information on someone because they looked at their boyfriend, or whatever. That's why it's ILLEGAL to do so AT ALL without the patient's consent unless it falls under those very few circumstances where reporting is mandatory. The law removes all speculation and justification from the process. Ask yourself this: If it was traced back to me and I lost my job/license, would it be worth it? The chances are that it's not. Plus, I don't think you want to get cross-wise with federal laws, especially since privacy of healthcare information is such a hot topic right now....

Just my $0.02

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit