Ethical question here, what to do?

by Snapdragon 28 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Snapdragon
    Snapdragon

Hey all, I have a hypothetical ethical question.

I know for a fact (having heard directly from the now-adult) a certain man molested at least 2 children in the the 1970's. Of course at the time this wasn't discussed and the creepo has gotten off virtually scott free.

I just found out some interesting medical information on him and was wondering if this should be shared with his victims.

Of course this is hypothetical, right, I work in the health care profession and am bound by law not to divulge personal medical history.

That being said: the information of this guy doesn't have a lick to do with the past. Its just interesting. It's along the lines of "what goes around comes around", "karma"....that kind of thing. Again, it has nothing to do with the past, I'm just thinking the victims might be pleased.

What would you all do in this instance, hypothetically, of course.

~Snapdragon

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz
    I work in the health care profession and am bound by law not to divulge personal medical history.

There's your answer right there IMO.

• avishai
    avishai
    Of course this is hypothetical, right, I work in the health care profession and am bound by law not to divulge personal medical history.

Check the mandatory reporting laws in your state. You may be bound by law to report him to the poice.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Agreed. It would probably be best to leave the whole situation alone.

• avishai
    avishai
    State-Specific Information Search Results: Wisconsin State Statutes

Mandatory Reporters of Child Abuse and Neglect
    To better understand this issue and to view it across States, see the Mandatory Reporters of Child Abuse and Neglect (Printable version - PDF 658KB) publication.
    WHO MUST REPORT
    • Physicians; coroners; medical examiners; nurses; dentists; chiropractors; optometrists; acupuncturists; other medical or mental health professionals; physical therapists; dietitians; occupational therapists; speech-language pathologists; audiologists; emergency medical technicians;
    • School teachers, administrators or counselors; child care workers in day-care centers or child caring institutions; day-care providers;
    • Alcohol or other drug abuse counselors; members of the treatment staff employed by or working under contract with a county department; marriage and family therapists; professional counselors;
    • Social workers; public assistance workers, including a financial and employment planner; police or law enforcement officers; mediators; court appointed special advocates.

CIRCUMSTANCES
    • When they have reasonable cause to suspect that a child seen in the course of professional duties has been abused or neglected;
    • When they have reason to believe that a child seen in the course of professional duties has been threatened with abuse or neglect and that abuse or neglect of the child will occur.

The following persons are not required to report sexual intercourse or sexual contact involving a child as suspected or threatened abuse:
    • Health care providers who provide any health care service to a child; or
    • Persons who obtain information about a child who is receiving or has received health care services from a health care provider.

Mandated reporters shall report if they have any reasonable doubt as to the voluntariness of the child's participation in the sexual contact or sexual intercourse or if they have reason to suspect any of the following:

• That the sexual intercourse or sexual contact occurred or is likely to occur with a caregiver;,
    • That the child suffered or suffers from a mental illness or mental deficiency that rendered or renders the child temporarily or permanently incapable of understanding or evaluating the consequences of his or her actions;
    • That the child, because of his or her age or immaturity, was or is incapable of understanding the nature or consequences of sexual intercourse or sexual contact;
    • That the child was unconscious at the time of the act or for any reason was physically unable to communicate unwillingness to engage in sexual intercourse or sexual contact; or
    • That another participant in the sexual contact or sexual intercourse was exploiting the child.

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

To me gloves are off with PEDO's ......but that is just me

• MegaDude
    MegaDude
    Its just interesting. It's along the lines of "what goes around comes around", "karma"....that kind of thing. Again, it has nothing to do with the past, I'm just thinking the victims might be pleased.

What do you think the victims will do with the information? Talk. Eventually you could find yourself being sued, your employer could be sued. I can understand you wanting to share it, but it would be risky-stupid to do so.

• Lady Lee
  • Snapdragon
    Snapdragon

Avishai- I know what you're saying. However, since this stuff happened so long ago, I believe the law you found wouldn't relate. That, AND the victims would be adults by now and I think it would be up to their discretion to report the abuse. Plus what I've been told is hearsay, not found for medical reasons. But thanks for the document, any way.

And thanks to the rest of you for your opinions. I'll reiterate that I'm aware of the law, and I wouldn't break it. Haven't yet, don't plan on it.

But I was interested in the more human response. Sheila, I feel exactly the same way.

I'm sure you can imagine my mixed emotions to have this particular man show up in my face as a patient. It is very hard to disguise disgust, but I have to do it every day (not to this extent of course) and think I did a pretty good job. Always the professional, as they say.

Lady Lee, question for you, though: You gave a sharp NO. What are your thoughts behind that. You know more than you wrote, can I hear it? Other than the legal aspects, I mean. How would it affect the victims, in your experience?

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

no law against letters mailed anonymously, with gloves worn.

CG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit