Isn't the Power of Prayer Just a Myth?????

by Balsam 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sirona
    Sirona

Kes152

Further, the Father is not the only one who answers prayers. The Devil also answers prayers to ones wanting things that are pleasing to them.

Are you saying that the devil can read our minds while we pray?

I don't agree with much of what you said, but that part was pretty shocking.

God does not answer all prayers with good intent. Someone mentioned on this thread about being an abused child and praying, and god didn't answer.

I don't think god is a giant vending machine in the sky, I agree with Satanus, who said that prayer works for other reasons.

Sirona

• Balsam
    Balsam

KES152 says:

Those who have prayed for their children or loved ones not to die have had good intents or bad intents when making such prayers. The Father has his reasons for saving the FLESH of some, saving the SPIRIT of others, and allowing others to go to rest when they die. It all depends on what was in their hearts and what 'covenant' they had with the Father (which no one knows unless they can either 'read one's heart' or if the Spirit tells them) and what the Father's will was for them. Everything he does, he does with a purpose. Many people have prayed for ones to live when the one dying was praying to die. Many have prayed for ones to die while the one praying wanted to live. Many did not know what was best for them so they ask God to let his will be done, but those who prayed for the person were praying according to what they wanted.

There are many variables involved and many things the Father looks at. But everything he does is for the benefit of the sheep. All whom the Father gives to his Son, will come to him. And he will give all of them everlasting life. The Father's will is going to be done. Those who want salvation will be saved.. and those who do not want it will not be saved------------------------------===================================================================================================================================

Those who prayed for their children or loved ones not to die have good intentions or bad intentions? What the heck does that mean. How could a person have bad intent to want their loved ones to live????????

What purpose is there for people to die from disease, car wrecks, abuses, beatings, starvation. How can you believe that God has anything to do with any of this?

You say the blame on the individual, their heart condition as too if they die. Sure there are those who wish to die because they know they can't get well or better.

If God was a caring God then everyone would die old and satisfied in thier own bed peacefully. There would be no tragedies of people dying young.

My point is God is not here, there is no satan either. Life is life, and we live and we die.

kes152,

I've heard this kind of reasoning from JW's and from traditionalist Christians. I appreciate your trying to be comforting, but it is not comforting. It is nothing more than the continued doublespeak and reasoning based on the bible and makes no sense. You say perhaps; God is not suppose to make sense to us in the things he does? I say why the heck not? Are we not suppose to made in his image from what the bible says. Well as humans we like to have sensible reasoning. To believe that God is dealing with our individuals lives from what we read and experience is just bizarre.

What proof is there that God does anything at all for Christians???? Or Jehovah's Witnesses or anyone for that matter. We have no proof of anything. We can look around us and say something intelligent created us, but where is the evidence that there is a being that is looking after us here and now? There is none. Personally for me realizing that we are on our own is easier to deal with then thinking God is either here or he isn't here. Does this make sense to you at all? It is like a parent having children, and they grow up then they are sent off out on their own. The parents die eventually and the Children deal with life on their own. No more parental protection or guildance. Perhaps that is how it is with this creator who put us here. I don't know, it is just thought. But it is apparent that who ever did put us here is not here now.

Balsam

• startingover
    startingover

Consider this:

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral
    However, on the positive side, my Grand Penguin lowered the crime rate in a major city; ended the UPS strike; reunited a married couple on the brink of divorce; cleared up a friend's sinus infection; and helped a good friend find much needed employment. I'd certainly call that remarkable. So then, what's to be learned from my efforts? Well, if you're allowed to count only the "hits" while ignoring the "misses," as do all the people who extol the power of prayer, then it turns out that my fuzzy little penguin is one hell of a miracle-worker.

I also notice that all the failed prayers...

My penguin failed to bring peace to the Middle East or Northern Ireland; world hunger was not eliminated; inner city drug dealing did not disappear; and a beloved, ill, elderly dog died in spite of my actions

...were for much larger, more difficult aims than the ones that appeared to succeed. I believe in gods, and I believe that their power is limited.

gently feral

• dh
    dh

i think prayer can be a lot like self fulfilling prophecy. a psychological thing. that if you pray for it, god or whoever will meet you half way, when in fact you've gone all the way by yourself, you just needed to tell yourself that god was helping to give you that extra kick. so i think in fact prayer can be very powerful for some, just not the way we might conventionally think.

• Bubbamar
    Bubbamar

I believe that God is a god of SPIRIT and that is the way he responds to our needs - in spirit. I don't believe he performs miracles and saves one baby over another. One baby just lived and the other died. I think he can provide the courage, endurance, willingness, grace and whatever else I need in spirit.

For example, a few years back I was having some health problems. I prayed to be healed and was not healed. However, I happened upon a wonderful doctor who treated me well, a great book that taught me how sugar destroys the immume system and provided me the motivation I needed to give up sugar so my body could heal. I also grew in understanding of the role my illness served in my live - and was able to do emotional work that also led to me regaining my health. It was a long process and while I was never immediately healed by my prayer - I don't claim to have healed myself either.

I read a book that helped me a lot after my father and both Grandmothers died 2 weeks apart called When Bad Things Happen to Good People. It sounds trite - but I did not find it so. I highly recommend it.

I am so very sorry you lost your son. I can't begin to imagine how you feel.

Hugs to you!

• brother devoted
    brother devoted

hello balsam, this is brother devoted,

I am so sorry for what you have experienced with your son,

on the subject on prayer when you said they go unanswered you said it more correctly that it "seemed unanswered"
    Jehovah does anwer prayers, but we must become in a way "conduits", if you will, for each other

Peace,
    brother devoted

• brother devoted
    brother devoted

hello satanus

may I ask how can you say "biblegod " is a myth then turn around and say "There may also be spirits around?"

in all humility
    peace,
    brother devoted

• kes152
    kes152

Greetings,

Whenever one is praying and asking for something bad, the Adversary is always listening. He is the Tempter because he tempts mankind to sin and to give in to the desires of their flesh. He tells mankind that they have a right to live as they please, and he provides pleasure to them that they may continue distracted, continue enslaved, and continue in bondage.

The diseases, car wrecks, abusings and starvation that man encounters are not from the Father. These things come from man whom they have received.. from the Adversary. The things the Father teaches PREVENT disasters and CARE for man. However, man in his inexperience and lack of knowledge wants to do what 'he' thinks is best and what he feels he should do and by doing so he has led himself and his offspring into pain and into suffering. The Tempter has come after having instigated the 'fall of man' and tells them to 'blame God for all their troubles' and 'if God was "truly" a loving Father he would prevent all the chaos that has come upon them.' Man has chosen to listen to that "voice" and did exactly what the Tempter has told them to do... blame God. It was man that did not want to listen to the Father and it was man who chose to listen to the Adversary to do what pleases them and when such brought chaos, man has continued to listen to the Adversary and blame God although they were the ones who chose to listen to the Adversary.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

If there was a god, there isn't one anymore. Praying is useless. Praying isn't as good as talking to yourself. Saying "I know I can, I know I can" repeatedly in your mind is going to do more than "God, can you help me....?"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit