Isn't the Power of Prayer Just a Myth?????

by Balsam 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Balsam
    Balsam

1. Isn't the Power of Prayer just a myth?

If a child asks a parent for help in an emergency and the parent does not respond we'd call it child-abuse.

If a friend asks a friend for help and they were immobile and silent we'd call that betrayal.

If citizen asked a policeman for help and nobody ever showed up there would be a lawsuit.

If any person claimed to be your father, your friend, your lover or your supporter but the only direct expression of those claims was the "promise" to be there and then subsequent "no show", could it be justified by saying they were morally supporting you by letting you test your own efficacy?

Children who are dying slowly of a painful disease whose parents pray to end their suffering; is God answering their prayers by allowing the innocent the agony?

ISN'T THE POWER OF PRAYER JUST A MYTH?

This Topic is By TERRY, I'm just helping out.

• little witch
    little witch

I dont believe so. I believe there is power in prayer, in having others share your troubles, in showing fellow friends and family support by way of positive thought, meditation, prayer.

To know that others are aware of your pain or trouble and that they are taking active steps to show concern is healing and benificial. It helps to know that others are thinking of you and that they care.

Science has shown that prayer and meditation is healing as well. It evidently lowers blood pressure, and gives a feeling of well being.

• Balsam
    Balsam

This is a subject I have thought about a whole lot. I have at time felt that God answered my prayers. But I have to say that the majority of the time I thought God was truly deaf. Most of the time I learned to only ask for endurance which seemed to be in my power to give myself without losing my mind entirely.

I hear people who say that God saved their life when they suffered some illness, or accident or something because of prayer. What about those prayers that seemed unanswered, went the other direction and the person dies. I prayed for my son to live and survive but he died anyway. I was a JW then, followed all of the dictates of the WTS, so did my son. He was a very faithful young JW kid. He had been aux. pioneering during school holidays. Our family would have benefited by the miracle of his survival, but instead he died. It ripped our lives apart, all of us. Did I or my son do something evil and his death was a punishment as some religions teach.? JW don't say that, but I know some think it. When families fail in the JW they say Satan tested them and they failed. But perhaps it was that God was not answering heart felt prayers that tore the family apart. People left to find their own way because God was not there.

Where is God in any of this? We thank God when we have felt he helped us, but when the times come and pray is unanswered it makes us feel rejected and unloved. All because this is what religion has taught us, due to placing our confidence that God works this way.

Wonder if God does not work this way? Wonder if is only our concept and not real?

Balsam

• little witch
    little witch

(((((Balsam)))) I am so very sorry you lost your son. I dont have words to express it...

I dont personally view god as an oppresser or a mean old man who seeks to destroy and hurt. I dont know why some prayers are "answered" and some are not. I just know that bad things often happen to good people. I know that it is a great comfort for me to have others share my grief and pain. It lightens my load and helps me to feel comfort that at the time of need others are helping to carry my load.

I cannot answer if god is real or not. It is something that I struggle with myself. Many times I have shook my fist at heaven and cursed because I was so alone and in pain and no comfort came.

I can only say that by allowing ourselves to ask for thoughts or prayers that we will get comfort and not feel so small.

For example, my daughter (12) attends a non denominational church and they just got a new pastor who is also our neighbor. He came by just to meet us and chat a while. He ended his visit by asking if it was ok if he said a prayer for us. I said "of course it is ok".

He just asked god to bless us and watch over us, to keep us safe and help us wherever we might need him to. I felt such a peace come over us after he left. It was just emotionally soothing.

Whenever someone starts to tell me that they are "attuned" to the supernatural or devine I get nervous. Red flags start popping up. But when a person says to me "let me care using my faith" I am comforted.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Well, yeah, if you are expecting some big sky daddy to help you out of every situation that you have gotten yourself into, yeah, it's just a myth.

Robyn

• Satanus
    Satanus

Bible god is just a myth. However, there may something else that may be 'god'. I doubt that this 'god' is in the prayer answering business. I think, however, that there is a communal subconscious of the human race. Successfully accessing this, while working along w the way it works might be how prayers are answered. If this is close to what really happens, then it doesn't matter much to whom or what prayers are addressed. What matters is intention and whole souledness, and of course, if there are those on earth near by you who would aide you in some way.

There may also be spirits around, who may have once been human, who might do something. Also, ones own subconscious can be programmed to do things. Lastly, each of us may have a spirit that might do something extra ordinary, at times. Passive meditation practice is a good start to exploring all of this for yourself.

S

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

I don't think it's a myth; but I don't think the 'power' comes from some supernatural being. I think if a person thinks good thoughts or tends to be happy or they have a strong belief system, they can be healthier.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

One of my favorite sayings: "Nothing fails like prayer"

• little witch
    little witch

The book of James deals with this topic. In this lesson it is said " without works faith is dead". It is not enought to say "be well fed" but some action must be done or the persons well wishes are empty.

prayer or meditation (or even caring) must have action behind the words. Otherwise how is a person to know you care?

Listen people...Hugs matter...financial help matters...clothing and shelter matters. If a person is without and alone, words are meaningless. If your neighbor needs a cup of sugar would you simply say, "I hope you get some soon"?

What good have you done if that is all you give?

Interestingly, that is the jw take on "loving ones neighbor".

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

I believe in the power of appropriate prayer. I don't believe in the sky papa taking care of every need, request, etc. When bad things happen to good people, it's not "god's" doing, nor undoing, it's just life.

In AA in working the steps of the AA program, my sponsor told me that for 2 weeks, every night, I had to PRAY for the people who harmed ME! I knew it was coming as I had been in AA almost 3 years. So each night when I went to bed, lying in bed, I prayed outloud something to the effect "..god, my sponsor told me to pray for these people - here's the list: "

I swear before the end of the two weeks I was wholeheartedly asking god to bless these people, and much of my resentments were gone, or at least minor nuisences.

-------

A work associate and dear friend wanted to go to Arkansas to her parents 50th wedding anniversary. The problem was, her dad molested her AND her son. But she wanted to go for her mom. She had about a month.

I suggested she go ahead and "act as if" and make her necessary plans. But at night to pray for her father by simply saying "god bless my dad", and leaving it at that.

She did, and she went.

At the hall where the celebration was being held, before the party, she was helping and noticed her dad's makeup was askew (he had cancer). She invited him into the bathroom so she could fix his makeup. The moment they were in the bathroom, he began crying and confessed to the abuses and begged for her forgiveness. She was able to tell him that she had already forgiven him in her heart.

THAT is the power of proper prayer. If I hadn't experienced it, nor witnessed the results I would still be a skeptic.

Hugs

Brenda

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit